Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear caliper piston fell apart

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While painting calipers on a 3, the drivers side, rear piston pushed itself completely out of the caliper (the car kept engaging the eBrake) I removed the dust boot, thinking that I could install it once the piston was twisted back in, which didnt work. So I'm now trying to pull the piston out again, however, all the brake fluid has leaked out and the piston won't twist out.

• Informative
Reactions: Jedi2155
Note to self: Disable e-brake if I every remove rear caliper.
On a related note it would be nice if Tesla would release a service manual like every other car company.

Put car in tow mode.
I've never worked on rear brakes with an electronic parking brake. I would suggest getting a service manual for another car that has the same design. Tesla does not make its own brakes.
Bleed brake system
Pray that everything works because otherwise you might be waiting months for a new rear brake assembly.

Note to self: Disable e-brake if I every remove rear caliper.
On a related note it would be nice if Tesla would release a service manual like every other car company.

Put car in tow mode.
I've never worked on rear brakes with an electronic parking brake. I would suggest getting a service manual for another car that has the same design. Tesla does not make its own brakes.
Bleed brake system
Pray that everything works because otherwise you might be waiting months for a new rear brake assembly.
I did put it in tow mode, however after 20 minutes it engaged the ebrake because Tesla's think for themselves, ****ing cyberdine!!

Should have disconnected the 12 volt battery. Sounds like the car thinks the parking brake is fully extended. Which means the car won’t attenpt to extend the piston again.

Time to call tesla service and pay them for their services. They may either tell you to replace the rear caliper, or they may allow you to bleed the system and perform the relearn procedure for the parking brake.

(I doubt however, they will touch the calipers if you painted them)

Should’ve opened the brake fluid reservoir and try to push back in. If that didn’t work crack caliper bleeder valve and drain the fluid.

But sounds like now you have the piston stuck in the caliper with out the dust boot?

Maybe remove the caliper completely, use compress air into the brake fluid inlet and see if you can blow the piston back out. (Dunno if that will still work without the boot).

If that still doesn’t work... just remove the whole caliper and take it to an indy brake mechanic. Maybe they can fingure it out or if it needs a rebuild... I bet that caliper is the same as other cars. Remember the brakes are made by Brembo on the Model3.

I did put it in tow mode, however after 20 minutes it engaged the ebrake because Tesla's think for themselves, ****ing cyberdine!!

This had been reported here:
Neutral/Tow Mode | Tesla

Its meant for getting on the flatbed truck only, and it was a timer so you don't accidentally move the car too long with it. Moving the car without it being on will damage the rear drive motor due to it not having a place to put all the energy being generated (permanent magnets).

Should’ve opened the brake fluid reservoir and try to push back in. If that didn’t work crack caliper bleeder valve and drain the fluid.

But sounds like now you have the piston stuck in the caliper with out the dust boot?

Maybe remove the caliper completely, use compress air into the brake fluid inlet and see if you can blow the piston back out. (Dunno if that will still work without the boot).

If that still doesn’t work... just remove the whole caliper and take it to an indy brake mechanic. Maybe they can fingure it out or if it needs a rebuild... I bet that caliper is the same as other cars. Remember the brakes are made by Brembo on the Model3.

I did both of those (cap off, bleeder out). The piston doesnt simply push in, it has to be spun and pushed simultaneously.

Yes, dust boot is off, piston is back in, now I'm trying to get the boot back in to the ring OR pull the piston out and try all over again. However, if I twist the piston counter clockwise, it doesnt actually come out.

But yes, I'm with you, I'm conceding to have a ranger arrive and repair.

Should have disconnected the 12 volt battery. Sounds like the car thinks the parking brake is fully extended. Which means the car won’t attenpt to extend the piston again.

Time to call tesla service and pay them for their services. They may either tell you to replace the rear caliper, or they may allow you to bleed the system and perform the relearn procedure for the parking brake.

(I doubt however, they will touch the calipers if you painted them)

Where is that battery? I wasn't aware of one. But yes, if I can stop the car from freaking out, that might help

Where is that battery? I wasn't aware of one. But yes, if I can stop the car from freaking out, that might help

Umm. All Tesla’s to date have a 12V.

tesla-model-3-dashcam-power-12v.jpg

Hi friends- you can unplug the electronic e-brake right at the caliper without causing any issues. This will prevent this unfortunate occurrence happening to anyone else. The Model 3 auto-clears any trouble codes/warning lights when it senses they are resolved.

YES! so the tesla ranger was a great help. He showed me where the ebrake can be unplugged. He reinstalled the dustboot, retracted the piston and helped bleed the system. I took the car for a drive and the pedal response is good. So to end on a good note, here are photos of the finished product:
20181004_085819.jpg
20181004_085819.jpg
20181004_085022.jpg