Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear cooling fan 'upgrade'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got the front fan shroud upgrade and the rear fan upgrade. Was told the rear fan might be a bit louder but didn't think much about it. Well, it is quite a bit louder. My formerly quiet electric car now has a high-pitched whine that is terribly noticeable even in the cockpit w/ the top on. Anyone else get this supposed 'upgrade?'

Is the rear can different than the new PEM fan? They seem to only be selectively replacing the PEM fan. I'd like to get it but they said for people in warm weather, it has to break first.

Had new fans put in last Friday. They look to be well constructed and should work better. Took two 70 mph hwy trips each burning up about 120 miles and PEM temp stayed where I am used to seeing it on the temp drive screen. They do make a little more noise but the radio covers it up. Matt the DC Tesla Ranger is a Tesla Superman for all the work he did to help with my upgrades on a hot humid MD day.

Haven't heard about cooling system improvements other than PEM system. Go in for service in about a month so i'll check it out then.

Have you been happier with how it is cooling?

Yes. Really noticeable when charging here. I also have the feeling that there are less squeaks and creaks with the new sway bar , but maybe it's the noise of the fans covering them up.

One afterthought, the fans were installed right after I changed rear tires (soooo much quieter!) and maybe I haven't noticed the fan noise as the car is quieter in totality.