Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear corner hit - should Tesla service look at it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 8+ months of not even getting a scratch on my beautiful 2022 Model 3, I got my driver's side rear corner smacked a couple of days ago in a parking lot (pic below). I was inside a restaurant eating, but fortunately it was in Sentry mode and the cams captured the incident, which was a hit & run by a Lexus SUV. She drove off with no note, and apparently no regrets, which p***ed me off to no end. But I got a clean view of her license plate, filed a police report, and the wheels are in motion to get this taken care of. I tell ya, this feature alone has sold me on my decision to buy Tesla last year!

My question for the forum--I was initially thinking of taking this to a body shop, but taking a closer look, it appears that one of the proximity sensors (?) is in the section that got banged in. Should I schedule Tesla service to take a look at this first, to verify that no functionality is compromised, before I go to the body shop? I'm going to say that the culprit's insurance company is going to pay for this, so the total cost to get it 100% back to how it was previously, is not a concern of mine. Thanks in advance.

Pkg lot incident damage.jpg

Last October someone backed into the front of my M3. The damage was much more severe than yours. First I took it to the Tesla Service Center in Dedham. They told me they didn't do body work and I should take it to a Tesla Authorized collision center. They gave me a list of 6. Wagner Autobody in Worcester was the closest one to my home. To make a long story short they did a fantastic job. The car is as good as new. But it did cost $9200 and fortunately insurance covered it all. Because you caught the plates of the hit and run driver and because she owns a Lexus, I don't think you'll have much trouble with insurance. The biggest annoyance will be the time it all takes. It was almost exactly 2 months from the date of my accident until all repairs were done, but again, my damage was much more extensive than yours, requiring a new front bumper, crash cans, new front and left front quarter panels, new head light assemblies, etc. They may in fact, be able to push out that dent and repaint the bumper - much cheaper than a new one, but since someone else with $$$ is going to have to pay for it, I'd insist on a new bumper.

Upvote 0
Last October someone backed into the front of my M3. The damage was much more severe than yours. First I took it to the Tesla Service Center in Dedham. They told me they didn't do body work and I should take it to a Tesla Authorized collision center. They gave me a list of 6. Wagner Autobody in Worcester was the closest one to my home. To make a long story short they did a fantastic job. The car is as good as new. But it did cost $9200 and fortunately insurance covered it all. Because you caught the plates of the hit and run driver and because she owns a Lexus, I don't think you'll have much trouble with insurance. The biggest annoyance will be the time it all takes. It was almost exactly 2 months from the date of my accident until all repairs were done, but again, my damage was much more extensive than yours, requiring a new front bumper, crash cans, new front and left front quarter panels, new head light assemblies, etc. They may in fact, be able to push out that dent and repaint the bumper - much cheaper than a new one, but since someone else with $$$ is going to have to pay for it, I'd insist on a new bumper.

Thanks a lot for this detailed reply! As a newbie, didn't realize there are "Tesla Collision Centers" but I just checked and there's a few near me (looks like you're in Greater Boston just like me?). The body shop I was planning to take it to was referred by a friend who's in the detailing business, but now I'm thinking if the other insurance company is taking care of it, why not go to the certified place to begin with?

Upvote 0
Wife backed into a Corolla after 1 month of driving our 22 LR. Sent a pic thru Tesla service on the App and they gave me an estimate and a service date. They replaced the bumper skin and a sensor in two hrs at the service center. I was impressed! I also jokingly tell people they did a full service while it was in. (Refilled washer fluid)

Upvote 0
Wife backed into a Corolla after 1 month of driving our 22 LR. Sent a pic thru Tesla service on the App and they gave me an estimate and a service date. They replaced the bumper skin and a sensor in two hrs at the service center. I was impressed! I also jokingly tell people they did a full service while it was in. (Refilled washer fluid)

WOW! I just sent an e-mail to the closest "Tesla Collision Center" near me with the pic, but maybe I'll try your route in parallel.

Upvote 0