Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Seat Removal - help please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to remove the bench rear seat from my 2015 Model S, but cannot find a method which doesn't risk breaking something. I believe the seat is Generation 2, pictured here:

My seat.jpg

My research suggests the seat is secured by a pair of metal hoops at the seat edge engaging with nylon inserts in the seat base frame. Here are example pictures from a breakers web-site:

IMG_4473 small.png

Loop Detail.png

I cannot gain enough visual access to see my fixings, but these images are taken from the web, and I assume they are the type on my car. I am aware that the Model 3 uses a different mechanism, with a release lever.

Advice on various forums suggests that simple but firm lifting at the engagement point should do the trick - even saying that you may need to pull very hard. I have pulled as hard as a dare, but the engineer in me says any harder and I will break something - for which Tesla will doubtless charge me a king's ransom to replace.

Inserting a large-bladed screwdriver within the metal hoop between the seat and the frame might enable me to put a lot of purchase to separate the joint - but so far I've not been able to get the blade into the space.

Seat Base Frame small.png

I can find no pictures to reassure me that the metal hoops are securely part of an invisible internal frame in the seat, and not likely to break away from the expanded foam upholstery.

I would be grateful for the advice from anyone who has succeeded where I am failing.

Many thanks

Philip

When they say you pull hard on the area of the "engagement point" they're referring to the front edge of seat as the engagement point in this instance is those plastic clips holding the front of the bench in place. This requires not a steady firm pull upward but a quick jerking pulling motion upward to free them and you do need quite a bit more force than you might think. Once that engagement point is released you simply hinge the front edge of the bench upward as you pull the rear forward and out of the rear metal hinge-like attachments. Be warned, I broke those white plastic clips on the front by removing and later on found out that those are considered a one-time-use part from Tesla. I'd have another pair on-hand to replace the first ones before you begin or your rear seat will flop around for a week or two until you can get those replacement clips. Don't ask me how I know.

• Informative
Reactions: f205v
I recently looked when the ranger removed the bench from my 2017 Model S.
It needed a very firm pull, and my ranger is definitively a strong man.
The better achieve it, he sited firstly on the driver side, put both hands under the bench lower border, and pushing hard with his feet lifted himself (and the bench!) snapping it from its restrain.
Repeat on the other side and the bench should get free.

Seems similar to the bench seats in an Acura. The first time removing them is kind of tough. I recall taking a large flathead screw driver and using it as a pry bar directly inside that metal hook. That along with some upward pressure might break it free. It's kind of a risky move but it worked for me.

I personally wouldn't worry too much about replacing the clips. It just makes future removal a total pain in the ass. But That's just me.