Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Vent indicator not always correct?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

avs007

May 14, 2021
PacNW
Has anyone noticed that sometimes the rear vent indicator is blue, indicating that it is on, but no air is actually flowing to the vents, unless you toggle it off then on again? There have been several times when my kids are belted in the back, and they said they are hot, and I look at the display, and the rear vents are blue, but when I put my hand over the vent, there is no air flowing. I touch the indicator, and it turns grey... No change... Then I touch it again, and it turns blue again, but now air is flowing...

both kids have belts fastened in the second row, and the climate control was already on manual mode. That's why I was curious if anyone has seen this... The indicator was blue, indicating the rear vents were on, but it wasn't... I had to press the button twice, to toggle it off and back on again, for air to blow to the rear vents... I can't remember the exact sequence of events, but I think all the times it happened, it may have always been when I entered the vehicle when camp mode was on, and I turned off camp mode, as every time it happened, my kids were still in the car... This last time today, I turned on camp mode, since it was really sunny, and I was talking to some friends on their driveway. When I got back in, my daughter complained it was hot, and I looked at the display, and saw the rear vent was blue, but I felt no air in the rear. I'll have to test it later to see if it's related to camp mode... But I do know it was definitely on manual mode when I experienced this...

I couldn't figure out how to reliably reproduce it, but it did it again this morning, but even wierder... This time, I got back in the car (climate was NOT set to on/dog/camp)... When I sat down, climate was still set to manual... I manually split the air on the passenger side, and turned on rear vent... I made sure everything was good... As soon as I put it in drive, I physically heard the fan speed lower, even tho the display still said 7. I also saw all the indicators were the same, it still showed air on driver and passenger, and rear... But air was no longer flowing on the passenger or rear, even tho the display indicated it was... I pushed auto twice to toggle it on then off again, and then I heard the fan speed increase, even tho the indicator still said 7, and I could feel the air was stronger... I had to manually turn on passenger and rear again. I parked the car, and tried to reproduce it, but I could not.