Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear fan not blowing heat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you checking the vents in the center console or the vents under the front seats?

(Also, Tesla does not send any air to the back seats if no one is sitting back there. You can explicitly turn on the rear vents when the seats are unoccupied thru the climate control screen on the front touch screen.)

Reactions: fholbert
I was checking the vents behind the center console. Do those not blow any air when heating?
I had someone in the back complaining of being cold, plus I tried turning on and off the rear air manually. But if heat doesn't come out of the console vents, that would explain it.

I was checking the vents behind the center console. Do those not blow any air when heating?
I had someone in the back complaining of being cold, plus I tried turning on and off the rear air manually. But if heat doesn't come out of the console vents, that would explain it.
I believe if you have it set to Auto it will default to the under seat floor vents for heat rise. Set to vent

I've experimented with the HVAC a little more, and it seems that if I use manual mode and crank up the fan speed, heat will blow from the rear center vent and from under the seats. But if I use Auto, it seems to avoid any air going through the rear vents or under seat. At least I know my fans work, but it seems Auto won't supply heat to the rear.

Auto, with a passenger in the rear, will supply heat to the floor vents. If not, just turn on the rear fan button in the climate settings.

Floor vents are the place you want heat, otherwise you'll have a cold spot from the console vents down.
Hmm, maybe something is wrong with my system. On auto, with a passenger in the rear, there is no air coming from the floor vents, even with the fan speed set to high (and I confirmed that the rear fan button is on). On manual, hot air blows from the floor vents AND the console vents.

Hmm, maybe something is wrong with my system. On auto, with a passenger in the rear, there is no air coming from the floor vents, even with the fan speed set to high (and I confirmed that the rear fan button is on). On manual, hot air blows from the floor vents AND the console vents.
Interesting. I'm assuming on Auto you have the temp set to something like 70F? And the cabin is colder than that when you're doing the test?

Interesting. I'm assuming on Auto you have the temp set to something like 70F? And the cabin is colder than that when you're doing the test?
Yep, I have it set to 70 and the cabin is around 60. I never noticed much of a problem in the front seats, and I'm pretty happy with how quickly the car heats up overall, but recently a rear passenger was complaining it was cold in the back, so I started obsessing over it.

If I had any gripe about the front heat it's that the floor heat never seems to really blow in Auto mode either, so my feet are always slightly cold. I've read other people have that problem, though, so I don't think I'm unique.