Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rebooting issues with 2023.44.30?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2023 3 Performance has been a reliable car... until recently...

I believe I had a total of 1 black-screen in the almost 2 years of owning the car...

Until now...

First indication something something might be wrong was when I got into my car after work and the screen stayed black. I had to actually turn my head to get out of my parking spot, and was fearful of the traffic indicators (which all worked - found out by looking at my blinker's reflection in the tail lights of a car in front of me). Eventually it rebooted and all was good.

Until now...

Today, I was driving and while driving, the screen went dead on a city street. The software tried to auto-reboot 4 times (the "T" appeared in the screen, it was in dim mode, then died again). Oddly, the image of the car didn't even appear!!! A little concerning. I verified my signals were working (even if there was no "click" noise) by looking at my turn signal's reflection in a car in front of me. One slightly amusing characteristic: the clicking of the turn signal went from "click-click-click-click..." to "click-click-click, pause, click-click-click, pause, ...". Kind of amusing.

When I parked, I did a hard reboot. Battery had about 130 miles remaining. I returned a few hours later and headed home with a quick stop to drop a friend off at a store. While I waited in the parking lot, the "T" of death (I think I'll trademark that :)) came on 2 more times. It rebooted successfully. Then I went to a drive through, and my friend pointed out that the "Temperature" on the top of the screen appeared as "--" (not 65 degrees or whatever). The system rebooted itself again...

When I got home, it appears Tesla sent me an update: 2033.44.30.5.1.

Just curious if anyone else has had unusual experiences with the last update? Any contact with Tesla to learn their thoughts? I'm wondering if the whole "recall" thing may have caused them to push the software out a little bit before QA had a chance to thoroughly test everything... That's my hope - otherwise, fearing it could be a CPU going bad...

Thanks, and happy holidays!!!

UPDATE: I took the car to Tesla today. They reached out a few days ago and asked for the time range when the issues were occurring. They pulled my logs from my car over the air.

Today the Tesla advisor said he noticed the release prior to the most current had several ERRORs during install, but succeeded regardless.

They're currently sent the logs to a more technical team as the local team didn't find anything. The local team speculates from experience it may be software related. I'll keep folks posted!

Took the car into Tesla and they are putting in a new car computer. A guy in line in front of me had a Y that also suffered the same fate (his autopilot wouldn't engage) - needing a new car computer as well. Thank goodness the car is under warranty - I'd hate to see what the cost of a car computer would be if the car was out of warranty!!!