Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommended DIY initial paint protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious what the latest and greatest recommendations are for initially protecting the paint. I’ll be picking up a new 3 in a few days and would like to do some kind of initial paint protection myself. Being that it’s already pretty cold outside I’m trying to figure out what the best product(s) to use are. In the past I’ve just done a basic wash and then applied some Collinite 476S wax… but maybe there’s something better?

Curious what the latest and greatest recommendations are for initially protecting the paint. I’ll be picking up a new 3 in a few days and would like to do some kind of initial paint protection myself. Being that it’s already pretty cold outside I’m trying to figure out what the best product(s) to use are. In the past I’ve just done a basic wash and then applied some Collinite 476S wax… but maybe there’s something better?

There are many different options for paint protection these days, each with their unique pros and cons. There are lots of informative videos on Youtube such as the ones below. These are the main categories of paint protection as I see them:

1) Waxes - Old school carnauba car waxes are still on the market. Nothing beats carnauba wax for gloss and warmth. But they are not very durable and can degrade when exposed to heat.

2) Polymer Sealants - These are synthetic waxes that last longer than carnauba waxes, but they don't give the same depth and warmth. They typically give more of a "candy shell" shiny look.

I should mention that there are some hybrid waxes that combine carnauba wax with synthetic polymers. I believe your Collinite wax falls into this category.

3) Ceramic coatings - These can be thought of as semi-permanent, very durable sealants. Professionally installed ceramic coatings can last for many years.

4) Ceramic-infused spray sealants - There are spray sealants that contain some ceramic in them. So they are much easier to apply than a ceramic coating. They do offer a bit more protection than a regular polymer sealant, but they are not as durable as a true ceramic coating. As an example, Griot's Garage 3-in-1 Wax combines carnauba wax, polymer sealant, and ceramic all in one product.

5) Paint Protection Film - PPF is a very unique (and expensive) form of protection that has self-healing properties. If you scratch PPF, the heat of the sun will magically make the scratches disappear. There is a lot of debate on TMC as to whether or not PPF is worth the expense.

IMO, because the entire front bumper of the Model 3 is painted, it attracts bugs and rock chips like crazy. Also the rocker panels get gravel and small rocks kicked up onto them very often. I would suggest you do a partial PPF on the front bumper, hood, front fenders, and rocker panels. In other words, you do not have to put PPF on the entire car. To save money, you can just put PPF on the most vulnerable areas. You can then apply a wax, sealant, or ceramic coating to the entire car. It is safe and even recommended to apply protection on top of the PPF.

if you are not into car detailing or happy enough to have a few microfibers at hand, buy a range of products and look after the paint then i would use touchless spray sealant. by far your best bet. and then get a ceramic coating.

Bear in mind with any sealant or ceramic coating comes the responsibility to keep the car reasonably dry and give it a wipe with detailer etc every once in a while to get rid of waterspots before they bake in.

I guess its the same with an uncoated car but I always found waterspots less of an issue on unprotected cars.

if you are not into car detailing or happy enough to have a few microfibers at hand, buy a range of products and look after the paint then i would use touchless spray sealant. by far your best bet. and then get a ceramic coating.

Bear in mind with any sealant or ceramic coating comes the responsibility to keep the car reasonably dry and give it a wipe with detailer etc every once in a while to get rid of waterspots before they bake in.

I guess its the same with an uncoated car but I always found waterspots less of an issue on unprotected cars.
If you are looking for a reliable way to protect your car's paint, you should consider using a paint protection film. This is a transparent film that is applied to the car's paint and that protects it from scratches, chips, and other types of damage. One of the best paint protection films on the market is the Max Protection. This film is made of a high-quality vinyl that is designed to protect your car's paint from scratches, chips, and other types of damage. In addition, the Max Protection Paint Protection Film is also resistant to staining and fading, so it will keep your car's paint looking new for years. Another benefit of the Max Protection Paint Protection Film is that it is easy to install. You can install it yourself or have a professional installer do it for you. And, if you ever need to remove it, the film can be easily peeled off without leaving any residue behind.

If you are looking for a reliable way to protect your car's paint, you should consider using a paint protection film. This is a transparent film that is applied to the car's paint and that protects it from scratches, chips, and other types of damage. One of the best paint protection films on the market is the Max Protection. This film is made of a high-quality vinyl that is designed to protect your car's paint from scratches, chips, and other types of damage. In addition, the Max Protection Paint Protection Film is also resistant to staining and fading, so it will keep your car's paint looking new for years. Another benefit of the Max Protection Paint Protection Film is that it is easy to install. You can install it yourself or have a professional installer do it for you. And, if you ever need to remove it, the film can be easily peeled off without leaving any residue behind.

too expensive, might as well get a respray. And paint protection film is notorious for baking into paint and then tearing some off when you peel it after a few years when it has to be renewed.

This has been discussed here multiple times and in countries which charge high labour cost PPF really isnt that great. At least if you coat the whole car. I do have a bit of PPF in front of the rear wheels as the model 3 gets a lot of spray abrasion there. and even that tiny area was very expensive.