Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RED, Performance delivered - panel issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am 220 miles away from the Tesla SC going there is always painful, the plastic stuff will be fixed with mobile service next week and for the paint issues I need to go to a local collision repair shop who works with Tesla. this is my 3rd Tesla purchase in the last 18month and I thought I've seen it all, but unfortunately I was wrong. There are more paint issues which need to be fixed as well as the left rear wheel which has some damage from strapping the car to the delivery truck. Otherwise the car looks awesome!
View attachment 527920

I have NO IDEA how you are staying so positive - you seem to have such bad quality issues like the scratched up seat bottoms, paint chips, etc. - that is UNACCEPTABLE for any product...........

Reactions: omegafiler
I have NO IDEA how you are staying so positive - you seem to have such bad quality issues like the scratched up seat bottoms, paint chips, etc. - that is UNACCEPTABLE for any product...........

I hope Elon is seeing this. No matter how badly Tesla wants to deliver everything it can in Q1 for the bottom line, this kind of stuff should never leave the factory and reach the customer - period - no exceptions. I can see getting it out to the local SC and fixing it there before delivery to the customer, but Tesla is not doing themselves any favors by sending cars with this build quality to the end customer. With all this negative publicity, they are probably scaring away potential customers, especially during these uncertain times. You'd never see this kind of stuff from other brands in that price range. Come on Elon, you know better than that. This is the 5th model from Tesla, the original roadster came out in 2008. How can this kind of build quality still be happening 12 year later?

I hope Elon is seeing this. No matter how badly Tesla wants to deliver everything it can in Q1 for the bottom line, this kind of stuff should never leave the factory and reach the customer - period - no exceptions. I can see getting it out to the local SC and fixing it there before delivery to the customer, but Tesla is not doing themselves any favors by sending cars with this build quality to the end customer. With all this negative publicity, they are probably scaring away potential customers, especially during these uncertain times. You'd never see this kind of stuff from other brands in that price range. Come on Elon, you know better than that. This is the 5th model from Tesla, the original roadster came out in 2008. How can this kind of build quality still be happening 12 year later?
Not sure about others...But I am getting spooked. My current car is AUDI A4. Interior and exterior are picture perfect. I sold my Mercedes C300 because I felt there was a rattle, and dealership was not able to fix it. I am not at an extreme end of the spectrum but after paying 70K I don't want to make multiple trips to SC to get these imperfections fixed.

Not sure about others...But I am getting spooked. My current car is AUDI A4. Interior and exterior are picture perfect. I sold my Mercedes C300 because I felt there was a rattle, and dealership was not able to fix it. I am not at an extreme end of the spectrum but after paying 70K I don't want to make multiple trips to SC to get these imperfections fixed.
I understand ur thinking,,, but I wouldn’t take delivery if too many major imperfections. I own a M3 and had 2 small issues during delivery but I’m 1hr away from Tesla. I will say after that it’s been a year and no need to go back. The car is very maintenance free and most issues, if any, they can resolve over software updates !

Reactions: Jaycha2
So my Red MY went to service center this morning. Contactless dropoff.
They just told me it was ready but while they say they have fixed front and rear seats they didn't do anything on tail light alignment :

Checked vehicle pictures supplied by the customer and performed adjustment to the front fascia and front fenders to allow
for best best possible fitment and flushness. Adjusted the hood and striker to even out gap and flushness as best as
possible per customer request.As for the rear tail lamps fitment to surrounding panels there are no adjustment possible to tightenthe gap and flushness. No repairs possible. Inspected multiple Model Y vehicles here at the service center and
found fitment to be the same.

Which is odd... Because I have seen photos where the tail and tail lights were flush. So I was expecting them to move tail gate back a little.

20200407_083931.jpg
20200407_083925.jpg

I checked the mounting hinges BEFORE it went in this morning.

20200407_083804.jpg 20200407_083827.jpg
20200407_083907.jpg

So why would this be like this? It's weird, it looks like the tail would be more flush if the hinge was moved down/ back a little - ie where it was when they spray painted it! So then why was it then moved ?

I have an appointment with Tesla to fix my misaligned panels, worst one is my tail lights. You can literally see the top of them which are supposed to sit flush with the body.

I found out Tesla doesn’t give loaner cars anymore, only Uber credit.. not to mention, I still have PTSD from their customer service so I’m thinking of just postponing it until I enjoy the car more and get bored if it. I don’t want to play the waiting game again.

So why would this be like this? It's weird, it looks like the tail would be more flush if the hinge was moved down/ back a little - ie where it was when they spray painted it! So then why was it then moved ?

There's definitely adjustment there (adjustment bolts/nuts from the inside) but based on the design looks like there's really only one adjustment which will both move that side of the hatch out (flush laterally) but then would also drop it down (no longer flush vertically) It may be they were prioritizing making it flush vertically as it's more obvious if out of alignment that way.