Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reducing noise and keeping the door sills clean

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else tried this and seen a noticeable improvement in interior noise on the highway?

(Up to about 90 - 100 km/hr I find the car perfectly fine, but as soon as I reach 110 - 120 + the interior noise is just too high.) I think it is a product of “weight saving” - glass, door seals etc. Not even so much “road / tire” noise, although maybe it is that, combined with air - wind etc.

I am looking on the Amazon.ca web site for comparable products.

I think any mat helps. I bought the tuxmat 3 piece trunk/Frunk set and Maxpider for cabin. Between the 5 mats, stuffed blanks in Frunk, rpm gasket, sun screens, I’m pretty happy now. X-Ice tires are a tad quieter too so need to re-evaluate in the spring with all seasons back on.

I’ll keep watching this thread with interest though. Personally I’d consider doing all but the bottom one to avoid any possibility of trapping water and freezing. Not that there is any proof of a problem. Just having water travel a longer gentler path can be a problem in cold climates.

Reviews on the materials are not the best either.

I had MaxSpider, which are okay, but I wanted something less industrial and more sound proofing. I bought these in black with red stitching. They have a nice flap that goes under the front seat bars...mats very secure.

Fit For Tesla 3 2017-2018 luxury custom waterproof floor mats | eBay

Last edited:
I had MaxSpider, which are okay, but I wanted something less industrial and more sound proofing. I bought these in black with red stitching. They have a nice flap that goes under the front seat bars...mats very secure.

Fit For Tesla 3 2017-2018 luxury custom waterproof floor mats | eBay

You should start a separate thread on those. (If it doesn’t already exist). Those look very nice. Like to see some better pics than what Ebay shows. First I’ve seen or heard of them.

I’m pretty happy with the Maxpiders and I don’t think they look industrial at all. But I’m curious how they will hold up over time. They already are slightly dull where your heal sits in just 2 months. So I’m not sure how they might look in a year.

So are the front and rear for $85 total? Sounds like a good price. Do they make trunk and frunk mats too? Did you notice a noise reduction?
I was wondering about quality it was so cheap, lol, but I’m happy with them. Good fit, secure, looks great. It’s provides more dampening of road noise than MaxSpider but not a total solution. I never realized how much noise the engine drowned out lol.

I was wondering about quality it was so cheap, lol, but I’m happy with them. Good fit, secure, looks great. It’s provides more dampening of road noise than MaxSpider but not a total solution. I never realized how much noise the engine drowned out lol.

Can you post a picture of your mats in the car. As someone else noted, the Ebay pics aren't the greatest. Thanks!

You should start a separate thread on those. (If it doesn’t already exist). Those look very nice. Like to see some better pics than what Ebay shows. First I’ve seen or heard of them.

I’m pretty happy with the Maxpiders and I don’t think they look industrial at all. But I’m curious how they will hold up over time. They already are slightly dull where your heal sits in just 2 months. So I’m not sure how they might look in a year.

Attachments

• 18D8CA37-F1A2-48EC-8AF3-D491B9E8CE13.jpeg
    18D8CA37-F1A2-48EC-8AF3-D491B9E8CE13.jpeg
    138 KB · Views: 372
  • 2FCDDC32-7D49-49E4-A50F-338CA3D1961B.jpeg
    2FCDDC32-7D49-49E4-A50F-338CA3D1961B.jpeg
    178.5 KB · Views: 306
  • A3FADD4F-6826-45EB-B6E8-35F15C3CB143.jpeg
    A3FADD4F-6826-45EB-B6E8-35F15C3CB143.jpeg
    187.6 KB · Views: 310
I'm not a huge fan of the color options or stiching, but I do like how those cheaper mats offer 100% coverage! Even more than 3D Maxpider's which I still love. So easy to clean and look amazing.

I may end up doing some damping material on the underside of my 3Ds. Combined with the carpet theres a built in decoupling layer, and the 3d mats roughly imitate MLV (mass loaded vinyl).

Thanks for the pics. They look pretty nice. Possibly a little over the top for me.
I think the red stitching will eventually get stained/dirty.
I think contrast stitching looks great on seats, dash etc. but they don't get exposed to mud, salt, sand, slush etc.

Hey Brad, thanks again, I ordered the seals but have not had a chance to install.

I noticed in one of your pictures that your interior door panel has the same gaps as mine do that I noted in this thread: Interior door panel gaps Just curious if you think this could be another area of noise intrusion into the cabin? The interior of the door panel has noise insulation on it, but to what effect if the panel is not secured against the door.

Also, in your original post it sounded like you had attempted other noise reduction work...Can you elaborate? Noico in trunk or wheel wells?

I had tried different types of seals. These turned out to be the best. As for that gap, not sure I noticed. I'll check it out this weekend but I think there is enough insulation at that point where it likely is not an issue.

I want to try Noico but I'm not sure where to install it to reduce the most noise. If I'm going to take the car apart I want to do it one time.

Hey Brad, thanks again, I ordered the seals but have not had a chance to install.

I noticed in one of your pictures that your interior door panel has the same gaps as mine do that I noted in this thread: Interior door panel gaps Just curious if you think this could be another area of noise intrusion into the cabin? The interior of the door panel has noise insulation on it, but to what effect if the panel is not secured against the door.

Also, in your original post it sounded like you had attempted other noise reduction work...Can you elaborate? Noico in trunk or wheel wells?

Yeap I hear ya on the Noico...not even sure that's the best material for noise reduction either. From what I've read some type of closed cell foam is typically best. On other threads I have seen Noico applied in the trunk and the wheel wells and the poster didn't seem too pleased with the result. On my list of experiments I'd like to fashion some type of insulation piece for the rear trunk shelf port....not to make it air tight but to see if it can insulate and sound transmission. Sound that travels through there will bounce off the rear glass and forward into the front seats it seems to me.

Oh speaking of that port. I used a 2" thick foam material to completely cover that up. That absolutely reduced noise coming from the rear but not sure if any ill effects will come from it. Going to give it a little bit of time before I call it successful.

Yeap I hear ya on the Noico...not even sure that's the best material for noise reduction either. From what I've read some type of closed cell foam is typically best. On other threads I have seen Noico applied in the trunk and the wheel wells and the poster didn't seem too pleased with the result. On my list of experiments I'd like to fashion some type of insulation piece for the rear trunk shelf port....not to make it air tight but to see if it can insulate and sound transmission. Sound that travels through there will bounce off the rear glass and forward into the front seats it seems to me.

Oh speaking of that port. I used a 2" thick foam material to completely cover that up. That absolutely reduced noise coming from the rear but not sure if any ill effects will come from it. Going to give it a little bit of time before I call it successful.

I put a small pillow inside and then used Noico to cover up the rear shelf hole. It definitely made a difference and is probably the easiest 1st step in noise reduction. I haven't noticed much airflow difference (the doors possibly could be ever so slightly harder to close) or any lowered sub woofer output.

Its interesting but if I have something large using up most of the trunk (golf clubs and a golf push cart) the car is a little quieter also.

Reactions: Michel3
I'm not a huge fan of the color options or stiching, but I do like how those cheaper mats offer 100% coverage! Even more than 3D Maxpider's which I still love. So easy to clean and look amazing.

I may end up doing some damping material on the underside of my 3Ds. Combined with the carpet theres a built in decoupling layer, and the 3d mats roughly imitate MLV (mass loaded vinyl).

You might like the
I put a small pillow inside and then used Noico to cover up the rear shelf hole. It definitely made a difference and is probably the easiest 1st step in noise reduction. I haven't noticed much airflow difference (the doors possibly could be ever so slightly harder to close) or any lowered sub woofer output.

Its interesting but if I have something large using up most of the trunk (golf clubs and a golf push cart) the car is a little quieter also.

You talking about that huge hole on the shelf Under the rear window. Yeah I plugged that up the first week I had the car. It definitely cut down a lot of road noise. However it also cut off the subwoofer and I was concerned it’s a core component of ventilation. So I have since removed it.

This is why I felt rear Sunscreen helps. It helps reduce reflection of that noise off the glass.

You might like the

You talking about that huge hole on the shelf Under the rear window. Yeah I plugged that up the first week I had the car. It definitely cut down a lot of road noise. However it also cut off the subwoofer and I was concerned it’s a core component of ventilation. So I have since removed it.

This is why I felt rear Sunscreen helps. It helps reduce reflection of that noise off the glass.

I hear what you are saying on blocking that port. I don't think it is solely for subwoofer as I recall a diagram showing air ventilation through the port and then out the vents in the trunk. Without that ventilation HVAC system may have to work much harder to push air into the cabin. The question is how much noise does that port add to the cabin? I agree conceptually that sunshade should help reduce sound reflections off the glass. Still waiting to receive mine.

As an alternative to blocking the port I may consider adding ¼" stick on closed cell foam to the inside of the trunk (floor and wheel wells) below the carpet. The stock carpet is very thin and has a cheap feel and not sure it blocks much noise. Wish someone would offer replacement carpet of a higher grade for the whole car, perhaps with a layer of closed cell foam built in.

I hear what you are saying on blocking that port. I don't think it is solely for subwoofer as I recall a diagram showing air ventilation through the port and then out the vents in the trunk. Without that ventilation HVAC system may have to work much harder to push air into the cabin. The question is how much noise does that port add to the cabin? I agree conceptually that sunshade should help reduce sound reflections off the glass. Still waiting to receive mine.

As an alternative to blocking the port I may consider adding ¼" stick on closed cell foam to the inside of the trunk (floor and wheel wells) below the carpet. The stock carpet is very thin and has a cheap feel and not sure it blocks much noise. Wish someone would offer replacement carpet of a higher grade for the whole car, perhaps with a layer of closed cell foam built in.

That’s exactly why I bought the Tuxmats for the trunk and Frunk. And I left the cheapy carpets in their too. Tuxmat includes a lower well mat as well. Combination of mats and sunshades I think takes the edge off of road noise.

I’ve tried to avoid doing any mod that could possibly do harm or cause a warranty issue. But certainly keeping eyes and ears open to this minimal risk (but not zero IMHO) mod.

There is no question some noise enters through that rear deck vent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Michel3