Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Brake calipers fit older S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know or tried to see if the new refresh brake calipers are a direct bolt on retrofit to the older S? I was pondering this since the newer calipers look more updated and if there's any added braking performance that would be an extra benefit. I am mainly interested for the look but hey wouldn't mind if they help stopping over the old.

You'd pay $20K, or somewhere between 1/2 to 1/3 the value of your car, just to upgrade the look of your brakes?
He isn't talking about the 20k Carbon Ceramic upgrade. He is asking about the standard brakes on the refresh which are now painted red and the rear brakes have a dodgy cover to make them look like bigger brakes than they are.

Dont think these are going to be any better than your current brakes, possibly the pads have changed.

Paint your own and change the pads to something better IMO.

No, they are not a direct swap. The OEM rotors are a different diameter between Gen 1 and Gen 2.

I did a Big Brake Kit on the fronts of my 2016 P90D because I thought the OEMs looked too small - it was about $3.5k. Went from 355x32mm rotors to 410x36mm.

IMG_5939.jpeg

Yeah man that stuff is embarrassing.
To be more clear, what makes it more embarrassing to me isn’t just the small floating caliper, it’s the fact that they are trying to make it look like a new large rear fixed caliper by putting on a bigger caliper cover just for show. That’s the kind of *sugar* you see at Pep Boys or a JC Whitney catalog.

With that being said I still want to buy the new red calipers if the price is right LOL

To be more clear, what makes it more embarrassing to me isn’t just the small floating caliper, it’s the fact that they are trying to make it look like a new large rear fixed caliper by putting on a bigger caliper cover just for show. That’s the kind of *sugar* you see at Pep Boys or a JC Whitney catalog.

With that being said I still want to buy the new red calipers if the price is right LOL

Yep, we're on the same page. The fronts are fine, it's that phony cover on the rears that's embarassing. On the 1st gen S, the brakes were small, but they were at least a nice Brembo caliper... Now it's a cheap floating caliper with an Autozone cover on it. Particularly embarassing when you compare the brakes on the Plaid to that of the Taycan.

Reactions: StevenSD