Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh LR Black Screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, steering yoke reset option was a no-go. Didn't do a thing.
Something worse is happening to me. Black screens - all three, when trying to wake the car after it's been parked overnight. But it's not 5-10 minutes. It takes hours for the screens to turn back on. In the meantime the car will drive, and regen is working, but no turn signals, and no other systems operational.

I've had my LR '21 since June. This has now happened to me twice. I drove the car expecting it to eventually turn on, before I knew that turn signals wouldn't work. It didn't turn on for several hours, once parked back in my garage and charging.

Last time it also took hours, but turned on without a charging cable.

Service tech I spoke to said he hasn't seen anything like it before. I hope to drive the car in this week.
SAME EXACT THING WITH ME. Both screens NA for about 5 hours. The thing that makes it even worse is the P R N D buttons would not work until the car warmed up in the afternoon. I would press like 500 times and finally Could get it to drive. This exact thing is happening to another person I know and he was having problems with Spotify in the car and I guess they changed the memory stick from an 8 GB to a 16 GB but I guess it’s still in service I’m waiting on him to keep me updated. My situation is worse because I’m out of town visiting family and the nearest service center is not being helpful at all. I have an appointment Monday but they never got back with me to let me know if parts would be in for other issues and kept telling me diagnostic team would reach out which they never did. I’ll keep the thread updated

Reactions: michaelep
My 2021 LR has had the same all screens dead issue and I have to use the backup P R N D buttons. Happened again today for the second time. Mine seems to happen after the car has sat overnight, takes a couple hours until it randomly comes back on, pressing the two buttons to reset doesn’t fix it. Ive removed the USB stick that sentry mode uses to see if that fixes the issue.

My 2021 LR has had the same all screens dead issue and I have to use the backup P R N D buttons. Happened again today for the second time. Mine seems to happen after the car has sat overnight, takes a couple hours until it randomly comes back on, pressing the two buttons to reset doesn’t fix it. Ive removed the USB stick that sentry mode uses to see if that fixes the issue.
What is the weather like where you are at? I am currently out of town visiting family and have a charger installed in one of the sheds out here on our farm. Usually I just pack up and leave the car outside and plug it in while I am visiting. The two nights that it froze the car blank screens the next day until it warmed up. Now I’ve been working with Tesla and I’ve been leaving the car inside the barn so it does not get as cold at night and every night I’ve left it in the barn it has been fine. Yesterday when I spoke with Service they told me to leave it out last night to see if it would do it again and sure enough it froze and the car was blank. Now it’s been so cold that the buttons below the wireless chargers do not work unless I press them about 5000 times so they are ordering new buttons as I guess they have a revised part that fixes that issue. Apparently there has been a hold on new plaid and LR deliveries because the new firmware to the new updated buttons was not compatible and they were waiting until the software got pushed for them to work. If you’re not having a problem with them working them that is great but mine don’t work when it’s freezing outside so on top of having a car with no displays I can also not put it into gear easily. Now are usually I let the car sit all day and when it warms up outside it will come back alive but at 5:30 this morning I decided to take it on a drive and drove it for about 25 miles going roughly 98 mph according to my radar detector. I recorded almost the whole thing and crazy enough as soon as I pulled back into the driveway the screens came back on and the car has been alive ever since. This issue has been going on for a couple weeks now and it is definitely weather related. The first time it happened tesla Diagnostics # told me that the car tried to perform some sort of thermal test in the middle of the night and this test was actually supposed to be done when the vehicle was in transit to delivery but it never got done on my car. I guess it’s some sort of stress test so if it fails they can fix the car at the service center before the customer takes delivery. This is according to Tesla. Another issue is Spotify. If you go to one of your playlists there might be 100 songs in there but if you have the screen to where there is just the half side bar where it shows what songs are Up Next there will only be a few songs but not your whole playlist like before. Another guy on Facebook is having similar issues and I guess the first plaids that came out had an 8 GB SD card and they are upgrading them to 16 GB because it is causing some glitches to happen so they are proactively ordering a 16 GB card for mine as well. I had an issue a while back and still do but they replaced the SD card for the maps once already but it never fixed the problem. Sorry for the book but I figured I would get you all the info I have to help you out. Obviously some of these things are minor and there is a deeper issue at hand. I’ll take my car to service Monday fingers crossed it will not be there forever waiting on parts. Please keep us posted on what happens with your car and I will do the same

This has been happening lately with my 2022 Model S. I am thinking it is software bugs since it only began about a month ago. Mostly happens in the morning after sitting in the garage all night. Temperatures here get down to about 45 or 50 deg F overnight but our attached garage is insulated and stays warmer. I am using my iphone for the key. Both screens stay black when I get in to back the car out at about 4:30am. PRNDL is lit so I use that. The displays usually come on within 15 seconds and before I fully back out of the garage. A couple of times they did not come on. This is happening at least every other day now mostly first thing in the morning. I have not contacted service yet.