Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Model S - rear seat rattle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has been over a year since I wrapped mine in a bit of gaffer's tape. Zero squeaks.
I found the material that I know will work even better, at a local aircraft supply. Very inexpensive.

Reactions: Beandoc
If you have Tesla check this (or they decide to do it on their own), check your truck before leaving. This is how Tesla decided to leave mine after troubleshooting a rear seat rattle I did not ask for (semi-appreciate, although I still hear more like money in a piggy bank).

Edit: no clue what is going on with TMC image upload, so here is a link.
4xemY6w.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Beandoc
If you have Tesla check this (or they decide to do it on their own), check your truck before leaving. This is how Tesla decided to leave mine after troubleshooting a rear seat rattle I did not ask for (semi-appreciate, although I still hear more like money in a piggy bank).

Edit: no clue what is going on with TMC image upload, so here is a link.
4xemY6w.jpeg
WTF???? That's ridiculous.

Wow, the best service really is no service!

@cwanja, I have felt your pain. It's arguably worse with mobile as you watch them break stuff. My condolences.

Suggest check your rear seat side bolster clips. They probably broke them. The service manual gives bad instructions as how to remove the bolsters.

My cheap Teflon tape fix is still working, have had no need to upgrade to the reinforced tape yet.

Wow, the best service really is no service!

@cwanja, I have felt your pain. It's arguably worse with mobile as you watch them break stuff. My condolences.

Suggest check your rear seat side bolster clips. They probably broke them. The service manual gives bad instructions as how to remove the bolsters.

My cheap Teflon tape fix is still working, have had no need to upgrade to the reinforced tape yet.
Funny enough, both sides have been replaced when they originally were investigating the rear seat rattle. Before a tech discovered the striker / latch we all know too well. But it would not surprise me to find them broken again.

Funny enough, both sides have been replaced when they originally were investigating the rear seat rattle. Before a tech discovered the striker / latch we all know too well. But it would not surprise me to find them broken again.
The SM tells you to pull the bolsters the wrong way, ensuring the clips will break, sometimes along with the clip support in the bolster.

Reactions: cwanja
So I thought I had a rear seat squeak and rattle …

I already wrapped the latches in tape.

Had my S in the shop for something else and asked them to check the rear seat one more time …

Turns out, it wasn’t the seat at all. The rattle and squeak was from the *headliner*!

Problem solved — the car is finally quiet as a church mouse. All of the chassis and seat noises are gone.

To say I’m beyond thrilled with Tesla Paramus NJ is an understatement. They rocked this!!

Reactions: aerodyne and cwanja
So I thought I had a rear seat squeak and rattle …

I already wrapped the latches in tape.

Had my S in the shop for something else and asked them to check the rear seat one more time …

Turns out, it wasn’t the seat at all. The rattle and squeak was from the *headliner*!

Problem solved — the car is finally quiet as a church mouse. All of the chassis and seat noises are gone.

To say I’m beyond thrilled with Tesla Paramus NJ is an understatement. They rocked this!!
Do you know exactly what’s they did? If you know can you take pictures and a quick guide interested if we can do it at home

Thanks

• Love
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Do you know exactly what’s they did? If you know can you take pictures and a quick guide interested if we can do it at home

Thanks

I know they added some felt tape behind the headliner, somewhere in the right rear, but I’m not inclined to pull it down and find out exactly where. I dont have any rattles or squeaks currently and don’t want to poke at it and make some appear unnecessarily.

Best advice I have is push on the headliner, find out where/if it squeaks, and that should be your target area.

Reactions: saj070
For whatever it's worth, I've learned to track down rattles myself unless it's a known specific issue. I've had two cars now, both luxury/premium, where the dealers messed up a bunch of stuff trying to solve a rattle issue.
yup i feel thats whats its come to. they address and issue, arent able to fix it and mess up a lot of other stuff in the process. its a task that requires patience and meticulous with all the fragile plastic clips and such. nothing a tech really cares to chase down. i took mine in for the repair once and it wasnt done correctly. going to refer to all the info on this thread and chase it down myself.

Reactions: TechReferral
Tesla has a new "procedure" to address the rear seat rattle. They are calling it a "seat adjustment". Per my recent visit:
Verified customer concern. Performed 2nd row seat adjustment. Lubricated the Pivot Bushing and the Static Pivot Collar. Performed Validation Test Drive.
Initial drive home was positive and I have lengthy drives tomorrow to further test. If you have followed any of my post, my rear seats have been abused. The strikers have taken a beating from a mallet, latches have been replaced, tape has been applied and chewed through in six months, seat backs have been replaced all to no luck. We shall see what happens here.