Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solution: center column & seat rattles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found and fixed another couple sources of rattling in my M3 in and around the center column. Hoping this will be of use to others.

I noticed that the latch for the bin beneath the center armrest has some play and will tend to rattle. The fix is to apply a small piece of self-adhesive felt, cut to size, to the latch as shown in the attached picture. Not only does it no longer rattle, but the latch has a much more solid, thud sound when it engages similar to my old Audi.

Another spot I found that causes rattling is the passenger seat belt latch. This latch will tent to rattle against the adjacent hard plastic cover on the seat. There is actually a factory-applied piece of felt on the opposite size to prevent rattle against the center column, but not on the seat side so I applied a piece of felt tape where the two were in contact. I've shown the location in the second attached photo. Note that this rattle tends to occur only when there's no passenger because the latch is free to move if the seat belt is not latched and under tension.

Attachments

• 20240224_165109.jpg
    20240224_165109.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 42
  • 20240225_112232.jpg
    20240225_112232.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 29