Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen Braking <3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Coming from a Prius C, where I would try not to use my brakes as much as possible (by shifting to B), Model 3 regen braking is much more aggressive then even B gear in my Prius C, which I'm loving. Time my de-acceleration right and I don't even need to touch my brakes

Regen is my #1 favourite EV thing. It's just good.

With ICE, I used to gear down for everything to slow down and use friction brakes as little as possible. My brake pads were well over 60% (probably closer to 75%) after 160,000km (100,000mi).

I was basically beyond excited to drive something that lets me do the equivalent of that, but even stronger, with less drivetrain impact, and even has the benefit of saving energy.

Regen is my #1 favourite EV thing. It's just good.

With ICE, I used to gear down for everything to slow down and use friction brakes as little as possible. My brake pads were well over 60% (probably closer to 75%) after 160,000km (100,000mi).

I was basically beyond excited to drive something that lets me do the equivalent of that, but even stronger, with less drivetrain impact, and even has the benefit of saving energy.
Does gearing down have negative affects on the transmission? I don’t get the logic of trying to save $60 brake pads over the course of the cars life.

Does gearing down have negative affects on the transmission? I don’t get the logic of trying to save $60 brake pads over the course of the cars life.

The Prius's don't use a traditional ICE transmission, so yes, it's safe (some people explain about it on youtube)

And since the Prius C's shifter stick is like and positioned where a traditional ICE car is, it's just a natural spot to rest your non-driving hand (if you've ever driven stick)

Each person's driving habits are different. Driving conditions, in your area may be different. Hills, weather, traffic, daytime night time, are all factors to consider. So if you get good results with the car you drive, don't change a thing.