Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen Braking with hand controls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
Has anyone here driven a Tesla with hand controls? How do you manage the transition from the hand control (which has both gas/power and brake) to the left stalk and back while signalling for a lane change/turn?

I'm new to driving an EV (Model Y LR AWD) with hand controls (Suregrip Featherlite Push/Rock) and wary about the car slowing down considerably due to regen braking with the hand off the accelerator even for a second or two. Can be pretty dangerous on the highway.

Thanks in advance

I don’t have any experience with hand controls, but a work around that you could use is installing buttons that will allow you to set the regen to 0%. I think you can adjust the regen with in car settings, but I dont think it allows you to completely disable regen. These buttons can bypass that limitation. Might work for your situation. Just an idea.
link to the buttons:
S3XY Buttons

Upvote 0
I don’t have any experience with hand controls, but a work around that you could use is installing buttons that will allow you to set the regen to 0%. I think you can adjust the regen with in car settings, but I dont think it allows you to completely disable regen. These buttons can bypass that limitation. Might work for your situation. Just an idea.
link to the buttons:
S3XY Buttons
Thank you @KITT 2.0 - I might consider the buttons to program for the left and right turn signals instead of disabling regen.

Upvote 0
@dimitar.ns - would like to get your input on something. I have the gas/brake on my left hand (see details of the set up here). In the current set up, when I use my left hand fingers to operate the left stalk for turn signals, it invariably leads to slowing down of the car due to regen braking. I am considering using the S3XY buttons to program for left and right turns. My questions for you are:

1. Are there any recommended places on/around the steering wheel to put the buttons?
2. Is there a way to program the same button to do both a short turn signal and persistent turn signal (and cancel it as well)? If so, how?
3. What's the preferred place to buy them from for being delivered to Toronto, Canada in the shortest time?

Thanks in advance for your help

Upvote 0