Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen. ( just a light hearted thread ).

Is there enough Tesla regen created in 24 hours to fully charge a P3D+ Model 3?

• Yes

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • No

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Hmmm. I have no idea.

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regen.

I was wondering.....

I wonder if there are enough Tesla's out there in a 24 hour period using enough regen to fully charge a P3D+ Model 3. hmmm

The intent of this thread is to be non-combative and not complaining. lol Just thinking.

Is there anyone out there with enough clout to get Elon / Tesla to answer this?

( and yes... my avitar is real since so many people are asking - lol )

My P3D+ charges for about 1 hour at a supercharger when its empty.

The average current entering the car for the hour is 26,000 watts at 400+ volts DC.

I leave the house in the morning with a warm pack, so my inbound commute adds some regen.

But then the car sits in the parking lot with no charging all day in the mid-20s and windy......lots of dots on both ends of the energy bar on the ride home.

• Informative
Reactions: Garlan Garner
I leave the house in the morning with a warm pack, so my inbound commute adds some regen.

But then the car sits in the parking lot with no charging all day in the mid-20s and windy......lots of dots on both ends of the energy bar on the ride home.

Now that's interesting. I might even open another thread about "The DOTS of regen" because I get strong regen - even with lots of dots. hmmmm

Let's do the (fuzzy) math!

Regenerative braking, at full power, puts in roughly half the Wh that it takes to propel the car. So, with a fleet-wide average of ~280 Wh/mile, we're looking at regen putting back 140 Wh/mile of braking.

Tesla has produced roughly 400,000 vehicles to date, and most are still on the road. A Model 3 Performance has a 75kWh battery, so we need each of those 400,000 cars to produce ~0.2 Wh of power via regenerative braking.

So... every Tesla would have to regen for roughly 8 feet to generate 75kWh of regenerative braking power.

Possibly a bit more once we take into account the enormous transmission losses we'll incur moving that power from 400,000 Teslas to just our one Model 3.

Reactions: Dre78 and byeLT4
Let's do the (fuzzy) math!

Regenerative braking, at full power, puts in roughly half the Wh that it takes to propel the car. So, with a fleet-wide average of ~280 Wh/mile, we're looking at regen putting back 140 Wh/mile of braking.

Tesla has produced roughly 400,000 vehicles to date, and most are still on the road. A Model 3 Performance has a 75kWh battery, so we need each of those 400,000 cars to produce ~0.2 Wh of power via regenerative braking.

So... every Tesla would have to regen for roughly 8 feet to generate 75kWh of regenerative braking power.

Possibly a bit more once we take into account the enormous transmission losses we'll incur moving that power from 400,000 Teslas to just our one Model 3.

With a response like that....I would like to borrow the pic in your avitar. lol

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Ormond