Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Registering car in Michigan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

First time poster here so apologies if this is the wrong place. I picked up my Model 3 on the 19th of June from the Cleveland Lyndhurst store. A few days later I went to Secretary of State in Michigan to get my plates transferred from the old car. They used whatever paperwork I had from when I got the car and now I have registration for the car with the Plate number on it that I transferred over.

Fast forward to today, I got a fedex from the Cleveland store with the title and some other paperwork directing me to take it all to Secretary of State to get it registered.

Should I still go there with that paperwork? Did I do something wrong by getting the plates transferred when I did? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

I am surprised that SOS was able to do that for you. You may be Ok though. Just make sure you get a Michigan Title for the car and not just a registration slip. Also I hope you did not have to pay the sales tax again when you applied for your Michigan plate. You would have paid sales tax in Cleveland to Ohio. Normally after you get the Ohio title (4weeks time) you take that to the Michigan SOS and apply for Michigan title and plates there. Michigan will wave any sales tax fee on the car since they have a reciprocal agreement with Ohio.

Of course you wouldn't have to go through any of this if the Michigan House, Senate and Governor were looking out for the citizens and not the car dealer lobbyist. It's time time to get rid of the law than prohibits Tesla from selling cars in Michigan. But that is for another time.

I know you are enjoying your new car and that is what counts.

Also, we have a Michigan group on this TMC forum. Be sure to sign up for that as well.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/groups/23/forum

Reactions: outdoors
I am surprised that SOS was able to do that for you. You may be Ok though. Just make sure you get a Michigan Title for the car and not just a registration slip. Also I hope you did not have to pay the sales tax again when you applied for your Michigan plate. You would have paid sales tax in Cleveland to Ohio. Normally after you get the Ohio title (4weeks time) you take that to the Michigan SOS and apply for Michigan title and plates there. Michigan will wave any sales tax fee on the car since they have a reciprocal agreement with Ohio.

Of course you wouldn't have to go through any of this if the Michigan House, Senate and Governor were looking out for the citizens and not the car dealer lobbyist. It's time time to get rid of the law than prohibits Tesla from selling cars in Michigan. But that is for another time.

I know you are enjoying your new car and that is what counts.

Also, we have a Michigan group on this TMC forum. Be sure to sign up for that as well.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/groups/23/forum

Thanks, I did not pay sales tax again. I only paid a couple hundred to transfer the plates over (because the 3 was more expensive than my old Fusion). Tomorrow I'll just take my paperwork to SOS to transfer the title and ask about anything else that needs to be done.