Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about buying used from Tesla in Michigan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone! I'm pondering buying a M3 from Tesla's used inventory. I'm in Michigan and there are no pickup locations in the state; the closest nearby are Cleveland, Columbus, and Chicago. I don't have a problem making the trip out to pick it up, in fact I could travel further if the destination charge is less and a flight is cheaper/easier. Has anyone gone through the process of buying in a different state and transferred the title? I want to make sure I don't get double-charged sales tax or anything like that.

Solution
I bought my first 2 Teslas out of state (in Michigan) when it was still illegal for them to sell here. It is super simple and they will do it all for you. You won't get charged double on tax or anything. They've done it a million times at this point :)
I’ve bought two in Tennessee and titled them both in Mississippi. Easy peasy. No sales tax or registration fees charged by Tesla. About a week or so after I picked the car up I received a FedEx packet from Tesla. Took the packet down to the local vehicle registration place, forked over a ton of money for MS sales tax and Ad Valorem registration fee 🙄 and silly EV surcharge 🤣 and walked out with my new plates and title papers.

Upvote 0
I bought my first 2 Teslas out of state (in Michigan) when it was still illegal for them to sell here. It is super simple and they will do it all for you. You won't get charged double on tax or anything. They've done it a million times at this point :)

Upvote 0
Solution
I bought my 2019 Model 3 in Cleveland when that was the only option to get a Tesla in Michigan. They actually screwed up the paperwork. I don't even remember all the details now, but it wasn't filed correctly and I had some delay where my temporary tags actually expired.

That being said, as of now I wouldn't worry about it. You still have to pay Michigan sales tax.

Upvote 0
Hey everyone! I'm pondering buying a M3 from Tesla's used inventory. I'm in Michigan and there are no pickup locations in the state; the closest nearby are Cleveland, Columbus, and Chicago. I don't have a problem making the trip out to pick it up, in fact I could travel further if the destination charge is less and a flight is cheaper/easier. Has anyone gone through the process of buying in a different state and transferred the title? I want to make sure I don't get double-charged sales tax or anything like that.
Are you sure about lack of local pickup?
The agreement between Tesla and State of Michigan and Tesla allowed everything to occur in Michigan other than the paperwork which happens electronically in a different state. Looking at the website, inventory is all out of state, but it appears you can have it delivered for $500.
Or drive to IL/OH and pick up there.

MI AGs Office Issues Statement on Tesla Lawsuit

Upvote 0
Are you sure about lack of local pickup?
The agreement between Tesla and State of Michigan and Tesla allowed everything to occur in Michigan other than the paperwork which happens electronically in a different state. Looking at the website, inventory is all out of state, but it appears you can have it delivered for $500.
Or drive to IL/OH and pick up there.

MI AGs Office Issues Statement on Tesla Lawsuit

The only delivery options I'm seeing are outside the state. From what I remember reading, the car has to be fully-funded before it can be brought into the state (for new purchases) and I would think the same is true for CPO, if it was offered.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences!

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
Upvote 0
How did your pickup experience go in Cleveland? I am picking up a 2021 MY-P tomorrow driving from SE Michigan to Cleveland and back. Any tips for a smoother experience? I may attempt a 3 hour Uber one way to get there since I don't want to drive two cars back home... Open to an opinion on that as well.

Upvote 0