Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rejected 4 cars, was told they would not request more cars for me

Would you reject this car

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I personally got rid of my Porsche Panamera (which was high quality) to try out a my M3 and the EV technology... never looked back and love my Tesla.

Same here. Went from a Macan S to a 2019 P3D. Did a visual check at delivery to make sure there were no glaring issues. Even if it had some minor issues, I would have still taken delivery knowing that Tesla would take care of those. The Model 3 is in it's own league and simply the best car I've ever owned.

A $50k car should not have these kinds of problems... either Tesla should stop pricing these as luxury cars or get their act together. No matter how much fun the car is to drive, some quality problems, missing features and design choices should not be blindly overlooked.

I was that close to ordering a 3 but I kept checking them out, taking drive tests and I'm slowly getting out of the wannabe fanboy mentality and into "wait for the e-tron or some other properly built EV".

Yep, I welcome the hoards of dislikes :cool:

depends, a 50k car with only 8k of that going to drive train, sure. A 50k car with 18k going to drivetrain, yeah I’ll take these issues to get such a nice motor and battery for a heck of a bargain relative to other cars on the market.

Reactions: Petrocelli
I sort of agree. Depends on what car you are buying. Regarding “any other brand”: If it is an in demand car and you want a specific config, most dealers won’t have it, and will search regional dealerships to do a swap. There may be few or only 1 to choose from. If you factory order, you will wait months, and communications are nonexistent until your car arrives.

Maybe I’m naive, or maybe I’ve just never frequented an auto forum before Tesla... but I don’t recall doing detailed inspections on new cars in the past. I guess I always figured that dealer would fix any problems.

True... If you want to buy a really in-demand or low-quantity car, you might have to deal with pre-orders and waiting lists with other car manufacturers. But for most models, there are plenty out there at reasonably nereby dealerships if you live in a big urban area.

I would never want to buy a car with due bill items. Sure, the dealer (or manufacturer with Tesla's) might be able to fix things at no cost. But the last thing I want to do when I buy a new car is make a service appointment to get something fixed. I just want to enjoy my car.

If your yearly wage is <50k you should not be considering be buying a Tesla. or any new car for that matter.
Seriously I would be eating noodles and living in a trailer park in Tennessee backwoods if I bought an expensive car that’s close to my salary. I hear coworkers who make 40k buying cars more than their salary and I think they’re crazy.

If your yearly wage is <50k you should not be considering be buying a Tesla. or any new car for that matter.
BS. I drive a 68 xtrail at the moment it takes up about 15-20 depending on fuel of my wage. with the tesla it will be 100 a month less. no reason I shouldn't have anew car with current deals running. I said my wage is less than £50k . my and my wifes combined is closer to 55.

so where including owning a house do I not have the ability to own a 37k car which thanks to fuel works out less than my 31k car?

edit: ill also add that if you are usa then your wages are typically a lot higher than ours but we don't have to pay stupid health insurance that bleeds us dry. 68 us is equivilant to about 30 in the uk (don't know source just from too many years watching redit wage comparisons.)

Lol I don’t blame them your costing them time and money
Not nearly as much as people who accept cars and then have Tesla pay to fix them. Mine had a fingerprint in the paint on the top of the bumper that they fixed after delivery. It probably cost Tesla thousands of dollars to fix. It would be way better if I had rejected the car and they just found someone who didn't care about paint defects.

Reactions: Petrocelli
You have a single data point which is insufficient to make your statement.

Stop being so patronizing and ignorant.

Your sentence makes...no sense? Nowhere did I even reference "a single data point"

The data here is simple math. Depending on your filing status, $50k total income is $35k to $40k net income. It is simply a bad financial decision to spend your entire net income for a year on a car at those income levels when you can buy a used vehicle in good shape for $10k.

Payments on a SR+ model3, 5 year loan, are around $9k per year. In what world is spending almost 25% of your net income on a car a good idea!? That's ignoring insurance and fuel (which of course will be comparable to gas or less, the point is that 30% of net income towards transportation unnecessarily is not a smart financial move)

Look I love Teslas as much as anyone here and wish everyone could get one. But in the end, for most people a car is only a means of transportation for work and for travel. It is never necessary to own something as expensive as a model3 when there are vehicles that cost 1/4 the price that will do the same job.

BS. I drive a 68 xtrail at the moment it takes up about 15-20 depending on fuel of my wage. with the tesla it will be 100 a month less. no reason I shouldn't have anew car with current deals running. I said my wage is less than £50k . my and my wifes combined is closer to 55.

so where including owning a house do I not have the ability to own a 37k car which thanks to fuel works out less than my 31k car?

edit: ill also add that if you are usa then your wages are typically a lot higher than ours but we don't have to pay stupid health insurance that bleeds us dry. 68 us is equivilant to about 30 in the uk (don't know source just from too many years watching redit wage comparisons.)

Cant comment on UK salaries as I dont live there. Still sounds like you should be a 2-4 year used vehicle instead of a brand new luxury car.

Your sentence makes...no sense? Nowhere did I even reference "a single data point"

The data here is simple math. Depending on your filing status, $50k total income is $35k to $40k net income. It is simply a bad financial decision to spend your entire net income for a year on a car at those income levels when you can buy a used vehicle in good shape for $10k.

Payments on a SR+ model3, 5 year loan, are around $9k per year. In what world is spending almost 25% of your net income on a car a good idea!? That's ignoring insurance and fuel (which of course will be comparable to gas or less, the point is that 30% of net income towards transportation unnecessarily is not a smart financial move)

Look I love Teslas as much as anyone here and wish everyone could get one. But in the end, for most people a car is only a means of transportation for work and for travel. It is never necessary to own something as expensive as a model3 when there are vehicles that cost 1/4 the price that will do the same job.

Cant comment on UK salaries as I dont live there. Still sounds like you should be a 2-4 year used vehicle instead of a brand new luxury car.
I'm actually saving by taking the texla 100 a month on my current. I'm not spending 30 or 40 percent on the car and it won't be 5 years as its pcp its going to be 420 a month for me vs 510 on my current.

I rejected 4 M3's in a row, once each Saturday, all mainly due to significantly different taillight gap on left vs right side. Maybe I'm too perfectionist but it really bothers me. Anyone know if there are specific policies limiting how many times you can reject cars?

In my last visit I just took a caliper to record the difference.

View attachment 446153 View attachment 446154

Worried about the size of the crack rather than filling it

You have a single data point which is insufficient to make your statement.....

Your sentence makes...no sense? Nowhere did I even reference "a single data point" ....

I'm guessing here since I'm not that person but I assume the single data point was the yearly wage. Many people do have other sources of income beyond a regular job--ie. the single data point? Investments of different kinds, annuities, stocks, rental property, inheritance, etc. Your point would be have more weight if that is the only source of income one has.

I voted "yes" and was shocked to see that I am in a distinct minority. This is something that should be caught at the factory.

While I don't disagree, I assume stuff is caught at the factory that won't shut down the production line. Like other manufacturers some stuff gets by before leaving the factory with the assumption it can be corrected by service afterwards. With Tesla's business model of no dealerships, that means corrections are done at the service center/body shop after the sale unlike cars from other manufacturers who will fix them at the dealership and then stored on the lot. At this stage of the game Tesla doesn't have large lots for storage and there isn't much inventory sitting around, with cars sold as soon as they get transported to delivery centers; and right now they are rightfully focused on sales per quarter for investors and Wall Street. They are using capital to also advance other areas of their business they feel are equally important in the success of the company like batteries, supercharger network to support the large numbers of Teslas now being sold everywhere, and improvements to the service area. No matter what people say, Tesla is still a young, growing company.

I think most people probably realize even other manufacturers' cars get fixed from delivery when they come off carriers from the manufacturer or when they get traded and transported from dealership to dealership. It's not as if the cars arrive perfect with no need of repair or adjustments. Difference is just when it happens. Given how great Telsa are in general and with Tesla committed to its stated goals, most people either don't have issues with their cars or are willing to let service do after delivery what a dealership would do before. In this case OP was unwilling to let the car be due billed for the taillight gap adjustment because they wouldn't guaranty how it would come out. Seems like the majority of us would have gone the due bill route for his situation. I had a few minor due bill issues taken care of (3 paint dust spots and minor alignment issue at hood and headlight) think it looks great and am totally in love with my car even now almost a full year later. Had I rejected the car and bought something else I'm pretty sure I would have regretted that decision knowing how much I love driving my car now.