Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rejected 4 cars, was told they would not request more cars for me

Would you reject this car

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I rejected 4 M3's in a row, once each Saturday, all mainly due to significantly different taillight gap on left vs right side. Maybe I'm too perfectionist but it really bothers me. Anyone know if there are specific policies limiting how many times you can reject cars?

In my last visit I just took a caliper to record the difference.

20190824_110031.jpg 20190824_104924.jpg

As soon as you pulled out your calipers, I'd have rejected you! Just stand back and eyeball the back end of the car. Is the metal trunk out of alignment; if not, is the brake light just out of place? None of that can be answered just looking at a caliper gap. Some things might be simple fixes. Some might not. A metal body panel misalignment is harder to fix; but a plastic piece might be simple. My right brake light likes to wiggle out of place if I slam the trunk too hard. If I'd measured the gap, without looking at why it was the way it is, would have made me reject an otherwise great car. Don't miss the forest by staring at the trees.

You need to buy your car from a company known for fantastic panel gaps.

For most of us they do not effect the functionality of the car, and we realize that mass produced vehicles can have some tolerances.

You are more picky than I am.

My X had some panel gap imperfections, but otherwise it has been the finest car I have ever had the pleasure to own.

Some would say you need to get over yourself if you want to ever own a Tesla.

I am kind of tired of all the panel gap perfectionists, so please excuse me if I come across a bit rude.

I can totally understand why Tesla would not be willing to order you another car to find fault with.

A $50k car should not have these kinds of problems... either Tesla should stop pricing these as luxury cars or get their act together. No matter how much fun the car is to drive, some quality problems, missing features and design choices should not be blindly overlooked.

I was that close to ordering a 3 but I kept checking them out, taking drive tests and I'm slowly getting out of the wannabe fanboy mentality and into "wait for the e-tron or some other properly built EV".

Yep, I welcome the hoards of dislikes :cool:

As soon as you pulled out your calipers, I'd have rejected you! Just stand back and eyeball the back end of the car. Is the metal trunk out of alignment; if not, is the brake light just out of place? None of that can be answered just looking at a caliper gap. Some things might be simple fixes. Some might not. A metal body panel misalignment is harder to fix; but a plastic piece might be simple. My right brake light likes to wiggle out of place if I slam the trunk too hard. If I'd measured the gap, without looking at why it was the way it is, would have made me reject an otherwise great car. Don't miss the forest by staring at the trees.

I pulled out the calipers the fourth visit, not no aid in the decision but to record the measurements. Eye balling it from many feet enough was enough to make the decision. And also to notice front door not aligned with back door. That is 3 times the gap in one side compared to the other BTW.

For most of us they do not effect the functionality of the car, and we realize that mass produced vehicles can have some tolerances.

My X had some panel gap imperfections, but otherwise it has been the finest car I have ever had the pleasure to own.

I am kind of tired of all the panel gap perfectionists, so please excuse me if I come across a bit rude.

I can totally understand why Tesla would not be willing to order you another car to find fault with.

My current car is Toyota, previous was Honda. Never saw anywhere one gap 3 times the size of the other side and never had anything that bothered me. Also saw nissan leaf and chevy bolt. Nothing significant either except they are ugly.

I pulled out the calipers the fourth visit, not no aid in the decision but to record the measurements. Eye balling it from many feet enough was enough to make the decision. And also to notice front door not aligned with back door. That is 3 times the gap in one side compared to the other BTW.

So you are saying tesla will never have gap tolerances as good as a Kia?

None of them have anything that makes owning an ev practical.... eg, the super charger network. So enjoy your limited range perfect panel gaps.
I never said I am buying any of those, or that the gaps were perfect. But they do seem far better.
pics plz with calipers
Not needed when it is noticeable from 10 feet.

A $50k car should not have these kinds of problems... either Tesla should stop pricing these as luxury cars or get their act together. No matter how much fun the car is to drive, some quality problems, missing features and design choices should not be blindly overlooked.

I was that close to ordering a 3 but I kept checking them out, taking drive tests and I'm slowly getting out of the wannabe fanboy mentality and into "wait for the e-tron or some other properly built EV".

Yep, I welcome the hoards of dislikes :cool:

Tesla have never called themself luxury - they named in premium car market. The definition of standard car with hi-end software. Basically, their cars are giant-movable-by-itself-computers.

A $50k car should not have these kinds of problems... either Tesla should stop pricing these as luxury cars or get their act together.
What world do you live in where $50k is a luxury car. The M3 is most definitely not even remotely a luxury car. It competes with hondas and toyotas. Heck even my MS is not a luxury car.