Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Relocating to US from Canada with model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello

If I move to US from Canada (Where i bought model 3), does my warranty transfer?

Any idea on paperwork I have to file or modification needed? I don't see any thread on this topic in search.
Well you will need to make sure it meets Canadian emissions standards of course.

(NOT)

Teslas are widely driven in Canada, exact same model. You will have to pay HST probably, and various other taxes. There are web sites about importing cars into Canada from the USA. I don't think there will be anything special about a Tesla though it may be over the weight limit and need a fee for that.

Well you will need to make sure it meets Canadian emissions standards of course.

(NOT)

Teslas are widely driven in Canada, exact same model. You will have to pay HST probably, and various other taxes. There are web sites about importing cars into Canada from the USA. I don't think there will be anything special about a Tesla though it may be over the weight limit and need a fee for that.
I think you may have it backward? The OP is moving from Canada to the USA.

I think you may have it backward? The OP is moving from Canada to the USA.
Whoops! My error.

Anyway, the answer is ditto. It will depend what state you move to and you will have to pay sales taxes in the state you register. The car was surely made in the USA so there should not be major issues, and it obviously meets all state emissions rules, even California.

If you bought the car just to export, you can get a refund of some of the tax you paid in your home province, but if you have had it for a while you may be out of luck.

You would want to double check on the warranty. Some car makers won't honour the warranty on a car you import yourself, but I suspect Tesla will be OK with it.

There are also web sites that are easy to find about importing cars from Canada to the USA. The biggest worry is usually making sure the car meets emissions requirements, particularly for California. They usually do but you need to verify it. Teslas will not have that issue.