Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rent your car on Turo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

israndy

Supercharger Hunter
Mar 31, 2016
Alameda, CA
Has anyone here tried this service? If I google Rent A Tesla I get links to www.turo.com

I know there was supposed to be a service from Tesla in the distant future, but currently this seems to be the only way to get money from owning the car.

But it seems a shame to take a new car without a scratch and let some schmo drive it away from me...

The other option is to wait until the car has lost it's initial appeal and buy one used. Not gonna happen when the new one's always have such better tech than the used ones.

But it's sitting in the driveway for days at a stretch, renting seems good for everyone. Has anyone got a story?

-Randy

There are quite a few Tesla's on Turo, my X being one of them in Mid-Atlantic. You have to be the kind of person that looks at a car as just a car, not your precious baby that nobody else can touch. To me we bought it as an investment to start a side business. We have had it two months and it has paid 2x the payment, insurance, taxes, and maintenance cost. We have our 5th rental scheduled this upcoming weekend. Had some range anxiety on the 4th rental but he made it to a supercharger just in time. There is an S owner in Atlanta with near 40 trips who I picked his brain and is loving it. Another guy in Charlottesville with an S and an X that is also doing very well. We are tapping into the chauffeur/wedding market and it is showing to be more lucrative than Turo.

Take a trip in Erick’s Tesla Model X

• Informative
Reactions: Bebop
There are quite a few Tesla's on Turo, my X being one of them in Mid-Atlantic. You have to be the kind of person that looks at a car as just a car, not your precious baby that nobody else can touch. To me we bought it as an investment to start a side business. We have had it two months and it has paid 2x the payment, insurance, taxes, and maintenance cost. We have our 5th rental scheduled this upcoming weekend. Had some range anxiety on the 4th rental but he made it to a supercharger just in time. There is an S owner in Atlanta with near 40 trips who I picked his brain and is loving it. Another guy in Charlottesville with an S and an X that is also doing very well. We are tapping into the chauffeur/wedding market and it is showing to be more lucrative than Turo.

Super insightful! Thanks for your thoughts on this. Also your pictures in your Turo page are beautiful. Great looking car.

Reactions: EVTECH
Thanks for the compliments. I am almost done with the aftermarket work. Getting the parking brake calipers red to match and lowering the suspension just a little.

It was actually another S owner who is also a photographer that took the pictures! He rented it for the week for a 1,000 mile road trip to South Carolina and came back with AWESOME pictures.

Yeah, I need that kind of luck. I kind of lucked out with the photo I did take turning out so well.

I thank you for your lovely example, I hadn't put any guidelines in and got my car back yesterday smelling of pot, fun. Now they talk about the fine for smoking or eating that I lifted from you.

I am noticing that you have set your rate to $199/day, but on your page it said I can rent it for $169 a day. I tried changing the dates but it kept showing $169 on the rate you seem to have set looking at your calendar. I seem to be in the same boat as I don't see the rate I put for my convertible on my cars page. Do you understand it? Sorry to post here, but there isn't a Turo user site.

-Randy

Just discovered you can post a referral to Turo, so if you wanna try it you can go to Randy gave you $25 off your first trip for my discount.

I am 4 rentals of my car into the Turo adventure. No physical damage to the exterior but my windows don't roll up correctly and one wheel is loosing pressure. Gonna try to make a claim on Turo when I get the estimate tomorrow. I keep singing Billy Joel: "If he can't drive with a broken back, at least he can polish the fenders" as I detail the car again after each return.

-Randy

• Informative
Reactions: Bebop
The $169/day price is shown with the discount applied for the week long rental. A little deceiving IMO.

I dread my car coming back smelling of anything. Let me know how the fine process works through Turo. Also make the claims as soon as you can after a rental. I think I read somewhere you have to note any issues within 24 hours of the rental. I will be impressed if you can get your items covered. It will be difficult to prove they occurred during a rental. Please let me know how it goes. Feel free to PM me or email.

[email protected]

How exactly are you targeting the chauffeur/wedding market? Is there a certain website like Turo that targets that market? I am interested in that as well.