Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Renting a Y from Hertz - QR code registration not working? Try this process

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(moderator note - New thread created for ease of searching with a possible solution)
===========================================================

I’m a Tesla owner, but just picked up a 3 from Hertz. I can’t get the QR code to show up. Any tips?

Yes! I just had this happen yesterday, read this forum post, and successfully got it done....

....Soooo you've taken rental of a car with no QR code and on their website Hertz says ALL rentals now offer Digital Key (Which uses the QR fleet system). If you are still at the rental car center and the car does not have a QR visible on the screen, before you take possession of the car find a representative and inform them they need to reset the car, and erase previous owner (Renter) data. If you are in the middle of a rental you will have to do what I went through yesterday.

Step 1. Exit the car. Lock the car with the key card. Very important, the car cannot have any passengers inside, and has to be locked! Make sure you are not paired/bluetooth is not on, on your phone, else you will need to be out of bluetooth range of the car (30ft).

Step 2. Call Hertz, 800-654-3131 and follow instructions, A. current rental issue, and B. hertz roadside assistance, C. mechanical failure/feature issue to get connected to the right representative. It will ask if you are in a safe location, and if not to dial 911, don't worry about that. The automated call will list out a bunch of things and then connect you to someone. I spoke with someone named Des, she had not done the reset before, but I was patient and we got it done!

Step 3. Inform them "your rented Tesla Model "_" was not setup properly, and the digital key is not working." "That the car has info from some other driver and no QR code that should be on all Hertz rentals". Tell them your rental license plate. They can then open up the tesla fleet menu, and what they need to do is to erase the car user data, turn off guest mode, turn on guest mode, and then once thats completed (takes a few minutes), when you unlock your car, the QR mode will be available. They will then file a note that the service center is not blanking the cars per protocol. Hertz roadside has a whole protocol for resetting the car so that the QR mode pops up, but not every rep has gone through it before.

Step 3. Get angry at the service desk for not blanking the car after the last renter. But happy your rental now has a digital key!!!

Last edited by a moderator: