Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairable or Write-off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How long was on the insurance company, and how long has been waiting on parts? I had to go 17 weeks without my S, so I know (some) of your pain.
It took 4 months just to be assessed.... The smash repairer told me, sorry we cant do the assessment as we are waiting on a "Beaver panel". Apparently this is a disposable part required for structural damage assessment. I emailed Tesla complaining about waiting so long and this part miraculously arrived the next day!

So obviously it hasn't been written off. How much is the repair quote? I guess all the parts have to be shipped from the US but surely that shouldn't mean 6 months, did the repair shop explain the reason for the delay.
The original quote was 70k but didn't include fixing/repairing any of the electronic faults or wheel alignment/vibration issues that presented after the accident. The repair shop was just as bad as Tesla, not sure who was worse actually. The deafening silence from Tesla or the continual BS/lies from the smash repairer.

• Informative
Reactions: Quamera
I've been waiting since Feb 2020 for a spoiler replacement for my X. I live 30 miles from Fremont. At least I can still drive my X while waiting for parts.

-ThinkMac-
Gees... if local people like you have to wait so long, I guess us poor bastards down under in Oz have no chance. My spoiler was replaced too, along with multiple other parts. I am still waiting on a 3rd row seat, only god knows if I will get it this year or next...

I can’t be this wasn’t written off based on the clear *sugar* in body panels as far forward as the FWDs. 6 months is crazy, and should have resulted in a write off. I’m very surprised, but I’m sure you’ll be happy once you get your X back...
Thanks for your cryptic message hahaha I can only guess what you might mean by " I can’t be this wasn’t written off based on the clear *sugar* in body panels as far forward as the FWDs" ? hmmmm.
Anyways, down under here in Straya, it is the legal right of my insurance company to decide if they want to deem the car repairable or a write off. So unfortunately, despite written assessments by other smash repairers deeming my car a write off, it means nothing to my insurance company who will do whatever is best for their bottom line.

What happens in this situation if your financing? My bank would demand a write off, its technically their property.
I purchased my car in full without finance. In Australia, the bank could demand whatever they bloody want but it is up to the Insurance company to either repair the vehicle or deem it a write off, as per Aussie legislation. If I was a smarter man I could have gone after the at fault party insurance company but...

Thanks for your cryptic message hahaha I can only guess what you might mean by " I can’t be this wasn’t written off based on the clear *sugar* in body panels as far forward as the FWDs" ? hmmmm.
Anyways, down under here in Straya, it is the legal right of my insurance company to decide if they want to deem the car repairable or a write off. So unfortunately, despite written assessments by other smash repairers deeming my car a write off, it means nothing to my insurance company who will do whatever is best for their bottom line.

Sorry about that. I was using my phone and autocorrect seems to have helped me make that as cryptic as possible. *sugar* was supposed to be "shift" in the body panels. That made me think that the body structure itself had been deformed. If your insurance company is willing to shell out the cash for the repair, who knows, you may have the best fitting body panels of any X. :)

Keep us posted.

Sorry about that. I was using my phone and autocorrect seems to have helped me make that as cryptic as possible. *sugar* was supposed to be "shift" in the body panels. That made me think that the body structure itself had been deformed. If your insurance company is willing to shell out the cash for the repair, who knows, you may have the best fitting body panels of any X. :)

Keep us posted.
Hilarious mate! DYAC!!!
Jokes aside, I think the panel gaps have actually been improved, so a small consolation I guess.
Another bonus is the whole car got resprayed which fixes the crap paint job that Tesla does on their "luxury" cars.
So a forward thinking Tesla owner who has problems such as these can "easily" have theses issues rectified by interacting with a big truck! Problems solved!

Could be a fine line between "interacting" with a big truck and being completely snotted but great to see you can see the bright side of what was an unfortunate situation made worse by Tesla and the repairer.

Does your X still drive just as well as before the accident and what about the alignment of the gull wing doors, apparently they are a nightmare at the best of times.

I would also spray a hose around all the door, boot and glass seals to check for leaks although I am not sure exactly what you would do if you did find any.

Here's an update on the progress of the repairs. Let me know if you would be happy with this work. This is the brand new rear bumper panels.

Attachments

• Rear bumper after accident 1.JPG
    Rear bumper after accident 1.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Rear bumper after accident 2.JPG
    Rear bumper after accident 2.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Rear bumper after accident 3.JPG
    Rear bumper after accident 3.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Rear bumper after accident 4.JPG
    Rear bumper after accident 4.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 42
We all know that Teslas have a bad reputation of panel gaps and misalignment, especially around the falcon wing doors but the new bumper looks too big as the gaps don't line up properly and aren't even straight to the wheel arches. Please see before and after photos showing the workmanship of the Tesla approved repairer

Attachments

• Rear bumper and wheel arch after accident 1.JPG
    Rear bumper and wheel arch after accident 1.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 66
  • Rear bumper and wheel arch after accident 2.JPG
    Rear bumper and wheel arch after accident 2.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Rear bumper and wheel arch after accident 3.JPG
    Rear bumper and wheel arch after accident 3.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Rear bumper and wheel arch after accident 4.JPG
    Rear bumper and wheel arch after accident 4.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Rear bumper and wheel arch after accident 5.JPG
    Rear bumper and wheel arch after accident 5.JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Rear bumper and wheel arch after accident 6.JPG
    Rear bumper and wheel arch after accident 6.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Rear bumper and wheel arch before accident close up.jpg
    Rear bumper and wheel arch before accident close up.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Rear bumper and whel arch before accident.JPG
    Rear bumper and whel arch before accident.JPG
    196.8 KB · Views: 60
These photos show the paint colour difference between new quarter panels and the original falcon wing doors paint colour. What is not obvious is there si also a texture difference with the new panels being smoother and shinier. I am not a spray painter so I can not understand why, after the whole car was resprayed, there is such a difference between existing panels and brand new panels?

Attachments

• Rear quarter and door texture and colour differences 1.JPG
    Rear quarter and door texture and colour differences 1.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Rear quarter and door texture and colour differences 2.JPG
    Rear quarter and door texture and colour differences 2.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 43
  • Rear quarter and door texture and colour differences 3.JPG
    Rear quarter and door texture and colour differences 3.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Rear quarter and door texture and colour differences 4.JPG
    Rear quarter and door texture and colour differences 4.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Rear quarter and door texture and colour differences 5.JPG
    Rear quarter and door texture and colour differences 5.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 48
Could be a fine line between "interacting" with a big truck and being completely snotted but great to see you can see the bright side of what was an unfortunate situation made worse by Tesla and the repairer.

Does your X still drive just as well as before the accident and what about the alignment of the gull wing doors, apparently they are a nightmare at the best of times.

I would also spray a hose around all the door, boot and glass seals to check for leaks although I am not sure exactly what you would do if you did find any.

Thanks for the advice Quamera. I did as you said and after I washed my car by hand, checked all seals. Unfortunately the result was less than ideal. Water leaked into the trunk area and into the tailgate locking mechanism area. Then there is also the leakage into the 2nd row of seats where the dreaded falcon wing doors are. What a nightmare!