Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Third row seats stuck down - the fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up a new to me 2017 90D a few days ago and of course two days into ownership one of the rear seats gets stuck down.

I figure, hey, this is now an 8 year old platform. Surely someone has fixed one of these. And it would appear that no, that is not the case.

The official word from Tesla is to replace the entire third row seat assembly.

I’m happy to say that’s not necessary and the fix is pretty easy, even if your seat is stuck in the down position. I just don’t want to waste my time making a write up if this is info that already exists or if nobody is interested.

To be clear, this is not “something is stuffed in the folded seat and it thinks it’s open” and it’s not “my harness came off”. This is the one where the seat makes noise but does not unlatch.

Is this still a thing with the X? If it is, is the fix from Tesla still to replace the entire seat? If there’s interest I’m happy to detail the fix.

Last edited:
Reactions: towndrunk
I think it would be worthwhile, as our late 2018 build had this issue a few years ago and they replaced the whole seat under warranty. Would be nice to have an alternative to waiting weeks or months for a replacement seat.

Definitely worthwhile to detail the fix for the community. I have things I posted 10+ years ago on Toyota and Lexus forums and I occasionally get random messages from people asking me questions lol. If someone doesn't find a need for your post at the moment, there will be in the future.

I would host any images on the forum and hope they stay. I used photobucket at the time and I think that company is gone. Majority of the questions I get is asking what I am referring to in the picture because it's not there anymore.

The last time I had guides online was for an Android forum and I used DropBox to host my files. Then one day I synced a new device and then my files were all synced to the new (empty) device and no more files. Make sure you keep a backup.