Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replace stained white seat back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a dye transfer from a leather pillow on the passenger seat back. Tried everything up to Leather Strong Cleaner, with no improvement, and this is first stain I haven't been able to remove from the white seats. Today mobile service took a crack at it but had no luck either. The service guy said Tesla can easily replace just the cover - has anyone ever had this done? If so, what is the cost?

Sounds like the "leather" is permanently dyed. As a last ditch effort right before you pay for a replacement, I would try some sort of vinyl topcoat to see if you can live with it. I've used SEM in the past to re-coat a leather steering wheel and it worked fine.

If you have a local paint and body supplier, it will likely be cheaper than buying through amazon.

Sounds like the "leather" is permanently dyed. As a last ditch effort right before you pay for a replacement, I would try some sort of vinyl topcoat to see if you can live with it. I've used SEM in the past to re-coat a leather steering wheel and it worked fine.

If you have a local paint and body supplier, it will likely be cheaper than buying through amazon.
So, I have used SEM Color Coat before in my Lexus and if you prep the seats very well before applying, it has lasted well over a year without any evidence of cracking or peeling. Asking ambrown307, have you actually used the SEM 15313 white and it matches the white seats exactly, or fairly closely. Thx

sounds like you are in the same situation as this guy:

I have seen some videos on Youtube in which car detailing experts used and successfully removed dye transfer using a very strong automobile all purpose cleaner. I personally have used and recommend Optimum PowerClean (link below). The directions say to dilute Power Clean 3 parts water to 1 part PowerClean for interiors. You can try that, but if it doesn't work, I would be tempted to try some PowerClean in a small area at full strength, undiluted.