Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing cabin air filter and cleaning evaporator fins in 2021-2022 MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s a good question. Tesla has repeated the design in the 3 and the new S. The gap is clearly for more airflow intake in bio defense mode, but I haven’t seen any degradation in airflow with the gap closed
I would think that if the airflow opening is on the opposite side it would help a lot. Throw in a 90° turn for the airflow and it would be even better. Most of the water would drop out of the airflow.

Reactions: MFrunkerOG
I would think that if the airflow opening is on the opposite side it would help a lot. Throw in a 90° turn for the airflow and it would be even better. Most of the water would drop out of the airflow.
Yup! That’s exactly what almost every other auto manufacturer does. They have a few twists and turns the air needs to take before it enters. Maybe tesla chose this route to reduce noise air makes in enclosures.

And ended up giving us the “stank”

Reactions: Bull
Quoted nearly $600 to replace a 21' model s HEPA filter under the frunk at the New York service center. No good will offered for the poor design. Looking into one of the cheaper options listed in this thread! Thanks for the great ideas

I’m confused. Wouldn’t this impede air getting in? Or am I not understanding how this works? I understand it stops water from getting in, but my brain is telling me if water isn’t getting in, then air isn’t.
No it doesn’t impede the airflow. The sock fabric is used to cover the air intake of high performance fuel injection / carburetor systems. It keeps the water out, lets the air in. It works

More experiments. Found this on Amazon and am closing the gap under the hood. Double protection. Let’s see how long it stays!

I’ve stuck it under the hood such that it barely touches the backside of the channel where the water should flow. Did’nt want pressure against it peeling away the adhesive

Still haven’t solved for that undulation under the hood where the rigidity of the rubber prevents the adhesive from sticking properly (the rubber gap you see in one of the pics )

Attachments

• IMG_2818.jpeg
    IMG_2818.jpeg
    444.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2817.jpeg
    IMG_2817.jpeg
    271.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2816.jpeg
    IMG_2816.jpeg
    423.1 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
IMG_2833.jpeg

The second prototype is in and it fits perfectly. No drooping. I turned on biodefence mode and airflow is great!

I’m calling this a success! Combined with the shower dam threshold barrier (it’s stayed stuck on properly for a week) on the underside of the hood, I think I’ve put this issue to rest!

Last edited:
View attachment 992346
The second prototype is in and it fits perfectly. No drooping. I turned on biodefence mode and airflow is great!

I’m calling this a success! Combined with the shower dam threshold barrier (it’s stayed stuck on properly for a week) on the underside of the hood, I think I’ve put this issue to rest!
Now what is my cost for one of these?

And I think you mentioned, it has to be replaced every six months?