Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing Control Arms P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am about to have some suspension work done on my 2014 P85D and curious how far makes the most sense. I have ~139k miles on it and over the past year or so I have noticed that the ride has gotten rougher than I would like so I imagine that my control arms are likely the case. I already have an appointment to add the following components from Unplugged Performance but wanted to get some feedback if I am going deep enough. My target is to improve the ride but maybe not have it be perfect. Any feedback is appreciated.

Attachments

• Unplugged control arms.png
    Unplugged control arms.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 4
Generally the control arms would be fine, but you never know with the castings quality on these Teslas especially if you see wet and snowy weather. Typically it's the bushings that wear between 3-8 years and I'm also looking to replace mine. Given the issue of the control arm integrity, I would not dare press the old bushings out but would rather buy new control arms with new bushings already installed. You may want to check out the tie-rods and sway bar bushings as well. Those are known to clunk at the age our cars are reaching. Driveability is probably just fine, but the suspension will be a little more vague and clunky. I wish a reputable 3rd party would make a set of more robust components for our cars but I'm sure the market is too small to entice a company to spend the money on R&D.

Upvote 0
If your fore and aft arms are original, it's a good idea to replace them with the latest version, because there's a casting issue with the early version that can cause them to split randomly.

That said, with 139k miles I would suspect your shocks would be more to blame here than anything else. If you have air struts, you can buy aftermarket ones from Arnott and swap them in....it's a very easy swap, no reconfiguration needed.

@maximizese is right, you should look at tie rod ends (the ball joint wears on basically every car in existance over time) and the sway bar bushings.

FYI, there is an aftermarket provider for the control arms...I've seen them from Moog, Beck/Arnley, Delphi, Sidem, and Dorman.

This route is MUCH cheaper than buying Tesla components. That said, Tesla service centers will not install non-tesla OEM branded parts, and generally will not install parts you bought outside of that specific service center. So if you bought those components from Unplugged Performance, you might want to ask them about it before you show up.

Upvote 0