Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intermittent Loss Of Air Suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

New here, first post.

Just bought a used Model S 2014 P85 with known suspension issues. Went for Tesla SC for diagnosis and told a few parts starting to wear (shocks/links etc.) but working fine, not urgent, car is safe to drive.

Got persistent messages for 100km of the drive home "Air Suspension Needs Service. Reduce Speed - Drive With Caution" with red air suspension warning icon (no issue on same road that morning). Was like there was no suspension, very poor ride until I stopped to charge. When I got back into the car it drove perfect for another 100km and again the next day. Three days later light came on, and handling was poor again. Stopped and restarted and same road home was great with no warning lights.

Previous owner said car drives hard once a week or fortnight and then corrects itself. I have the car six weeks and agree. The red light has come on now and then but the notification to slow down may have occurred just once before. I also had home location set to high but most times reversing into driveway i get
Raising Suspension based on Location (Green)
Air suspension adjustment unavailable (Orange)

My gut is telling me that if this was due to parts that I'm told are showing signs of wear but are good for now, my problem should be more consistent and not specific to one drive and absent for the next. Has anyone experienced similar intermittent air suspension problems? Are there any sensors or controllers that might sporadically fail to engage when turning the car on? The car has at no stage dropped on top of the tyres when parked. It did once feel like it was hitting pot holes when in v slow city traffic with zero potholes present. I don't know would side effects of an air leak be this intermittent??

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks