Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing fob battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, so I bought my Model X in November, 2019. I love the car, but last week, one of my fob batteries goes dead. "No probs," me thinks, "I'll just buy a new one and replace it." Small problem: The usual battery outlets around here (Wal-Mart, Lowe's, CVS) don't carry the nickel-size battery, a CR2354. But there's a workaround: Go to one of those Batteries Are Us places and get a replacement. Not so fast, Flicka; the damn battery doesn't fit. It's the same width and diameter, and about the same height, but the sideview SHAPE is different, so it doesn't fit.

Anyone else have this problem? I bought/used the same battery number and voltage (3V). If so, how did you address it? If both batteries go dead, I'm screwed.

Thanks.

Hi @YankeeClipper,

I also bought some at Batteries Plus Bulbs and they were an off brand "Nuon" that did not work...
CR2354 but an odd shape...

I recommend Digikey.com
They have fresh inexpensive batteries.
You can get them in a few days.

Amazon is a possibilty - BUT you must watch where they are sourced or you can get
stale, outdated ones...

Good luck,

Shawn

PS _ WELCOME first poster !!!

Hi @YankeeClipper,

I also bought some at Batteries Plus Bulbs and they were an off brand "Nuon" that did not work...
CR2354 but an odd shape...

I recommend Digikey.com
They have fresh inexpensive batteries.
You can get them in a few days.

Amazon is a possibilty - BUT you must watch where they are sourced or you can get
stale, outdated ones...

Good luck,

Shawn

PS _ WELCOME first poster !!!
Thanks, Shawn.

This is very good to know. While waiting for an answer, I called Panasonic, and they referred me to EV Tuning. No real assurance that the batteries will fit because there was not a clear picture (sideview) of the batteries I bought, but the gal on the phone assured me they would because they specifically referenced Tesla Model X cars.

I'll know more on Wednesday when they arrive. Meanwhile, I have to drive 50 miles to return the two I bought at the Batteries Arte Us store. Sigh. SJT

IMG_4276.JPG
IMG_4275.JPG
IMG_4275.JPG
IMG_4277.JPG
Pics? Bought pack of batteries on Amazon since they are not sold in most stores, more than once, and they are all the same.

Gwgan, the first picture is what I can buy (straight-sided battery). The second and third pics are of the dead battery in my fob. They are the same round shape and diameter.The fourth photo shows both batteries. The one on the left is what I can buy at Batteries Are Us, and the one on the right is the dead one. As you can see, the batteries have different shapes; one is more like a "T" than the other. You would think that with the same battery number, they would be identical shapes, but they are not.

I have ordered four CR2354 from Panasonic, hoping that they style/size will not change from the same manufacturer.

Of course, the Tesla dealer is of no help; they only sell cars, and once the cars are out the door, the customer has to fend for himself. Thanks, Elon! And besides, you can't call a Tesla dealer/repair shop; you can only email them. Tesla, your service sucks! But you knew that already, didn't you? SJT

• Informative
Reactions: Tam and hurjio
The Panasonic replacement is what I have bought so should be the right shape.
Anytime I have been to a Service Center they have replaced a battery if needed. I can call my local SC. Did you put a service request in the app to see if they will provide or defer to your own shopping?

Reactions: YankeeClipper
The Panasonic replacement is what I have bought so should be the right shape.
Anytime I have been to a Service Center they have replaced a battery if needed. I can call my local SC. Did you put a service request in the app to see if they will provide or defer to your own shopping?

I don't have the Tesla app on my phone. Despite owning a Tesla, I'm kind of a Luddite. I'll look into that when I get a new battery in my iPhone.

Sigh.

Hi, everyone!

The CR2354 batteries I bought on Amazon fit and worked! As I indicated above, my ordering from Amazon was kind of a crapshoot because the photos of the product did not show the side of the battery. Out of an abundance of caution (yeah, I always wear two parachutes whenever I jump out of a plane), I Googled something like, "Tesla Model X key fob battery," and I picked dealing with EV Tuning:

Tesla Model X Panasonic CR2354 Key Fob Battery

I wound up getting the battery I needed in a couple of days.

All is now right with the world; crisis averted.

Thanks for your help and suggestions. SJT from Cooperstown, NY.