Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Tesla Model S - Key Fob Low Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone. I'm new to the forums, so hi!

I have a 2017 Tesla Model S and I'm having an issue with the key fobs. Both key fobs have been flagged by the car and the error message states that the battery is low and it needs to be replaced. I have replaced the batteries in both multiple times. Now, one (1) of the key fobs does not work at all and the other one continues to receive the Low Battery message.

I have tried updating the keys using the UI in the car and it states my key is up to date.

I ran into a guy on Reddit with a similar issue but he also did not know how to resolve it.

Thank you

Reactions: Phil Stasik
I have a problem with one fob that I replaced the battery but not a Panasonic. It now doesnt work but oddly when I have both fobs in the car it still sets the seat with Jim on the dash like the key only works when the other one is present.
Where can I get one of these odd batteries. Definitely not at a local supplier I've looked everywhere.

Put 2 new btteries in thinking the first one could be bad. no dice the fob is dead.
I had one fob dead too. Pretty annoying that these cost what they do ($150-ish) and don't seem to perform as well as other makes. I've never had a Fob fail before. Oddly right now all 3 Tesla fobs we have seem to be showing a low key fob warning on the IC...and our temperature readout is wildly wrong about half the time lately. Had the 12V battery changed out 6 months ago so I don't think it's that. Perhaps the last few software updates have left me with a few gremlins. I'll try changing the fob batteries, but I don't think their batteries are the issue in my case.

Nissan wanted over $400 for a replacement leaf fob.
I assume you mean your local Nissan dealership, not Nissan the manufacturer. At any rate, at least with other manufacturers you can buy the fob and program it yourself. I was able to buy a Lexus fob, have it cut by a mobile locksmith, and use a cloned copy of Techstream to pair the key with the other fobs. Total cost was $60. In the case of the Nissan, I'm not sure if Leafspy would work but you could use a cloned copy of Consult. Google/YouTube might have instructions on how to program the fob with just the key itself. I wished we had access to Toolbox at a reasonable price for DIYers.

Dealer wanted over $400.

Found a locksmith that would do it for $240 and couldn’t get a leaf fob. So it has a trunk button emblem that opens the charge port.

anyway, I thought the Tesla price was fair compared to what I found with bmw & Nissan. If there are better deals out there I might be wrong.

Getting a fob battery low error on my dash (2017 MS75D). Used a few Duracel batteries that all kill the fob as if the Duracel cell is completely dead.
This thread could be a lifesaver - I just ordered some Panasonic ones that, unlike Duracel, probably taste delicious.
And? .... Problem solved or no dice? I can't believe the battery specs are so different that one works and the other doesn't. Can it be sensitive to internal resistance? Or wiggle room on the dimensions specs?