Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Fob battery still showing battery is low despite getting a brand new fob from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. Hoping someone here can help me. I bought my Model X 2016 used; it only came with one key fob. The old one was displaying on my computer dash that it was low on battery so i took it in to batteries plus to get the CR2354 battery made from Panasonic as suggested by Tesla. A new battery did not work on the old fob. The rep tested the battery. Brand new the batteries are supposed to be at 3.2v. The moment i put in the new battery into the fob it dropped to 2.8v. We tried this with two batteries. So conclusion was that the issue was with the fob, not the battery. Rep indicated there was something wrong with the fob likely due to parasitic battery drain.

I schedule a tesla service appointment. Guy gets me a brand new fob, reprograms it whatever; idk what he did but i got a new fob and it seemed to work. I just got the fob 2-14-24, and today 2-18-24 I am still getting the same message. I still have the old fob but i just keep the old fob stored in a shelf. Assumption is the old fob won't work anymore either way.

Anyways, I think this is rather annoying as i had to pay out of pocket around 230 bucks for the new fob. Has anyone encountered this issue before? I cannot possibly imagine that a brand new fob, with a brand new battery would go out in just 4 days. There's just no way unless i was given a faulty fob.

If u didn't have a message for 3 days then I guess new fob worked n just got low battery
Maybe it (or battery) sat on the shelf too long?..
Not sure if they install battery on the spot or have it pre installed in the fob...

3.2v to 2.8 drop might be normal, someone else would have to measure n see what the load voltage should be for X fob...
Batteries always drop voltage a bit under load, it's about if they can sustain it for expected length of time

Upvote 0
If u didn't have a message for 3 days then I guess new fob worked n just got low battery
Maybe it (or battery) sat on the shelf too long?..
Not sure if they install battery on the spot or have it pre installed in the fob...

3.2v to 2.8 drop might be normal, someone else would have to measure n see what the load voltage should be for X fob...
Batteries always drop voltage a bit under load, it's about if they can sustain it for expected length of time
Sorry i need to clarify something. just realized i was talking past tense. See below for corrected paragraph:

Hi. Hoping someone here can help me. I bought my Model X 2016 used; it only came with one key fob. Had it for about a year and this key fob was displaying on my computer dash that it was low on battery so i took it in to batteries plus to get the CR2354 battery made from Panasonic as suggested by Tesla. A new battery did not work on the old fob. The rep tested the battery. Brand new the batteries are supposed to be at 3.2v. The moment i put in the new battery into the fob it dropped to 2.8v. We tried this with two batteries. So conclusion was that the issue was with the fob, not the battery. Rep indicated there was something wrong with the fob likely due to parasitic battery drain.

Upvote 0