Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Restraint System Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

We have a 2019 model 3 with under 60k miles. We have an error message rcm_a021, which is a fault with the supplemental safety restraint system.

According to Tesla’s website, our vehicle is protected by a supplemental restraint system limited warranty, which lasts either 5 years or up to 60k miles.

The white plains NY service center is trying to charge us hundreds of dollars to fix the problem. When we pointed out the warranty, they first said the warranty was issued after we bought our car and therefore didn’t apply to us. In response, we asked when that warranty was issued and where does it say that it only applies to cars purchased after that date. In reply, they did not provide the requested information, and instead said that the warranty only applies to a certain type of model 3.

We have been unable to get in touch directly with the white plains service center manager.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about (1) whether there is any truth to the claim that the safety restraint warranty only applies to model 3s purchased after a certain date (that language is nowhere to be found on the website); and/or (2) how to elevate a warranty dispute with Tesla?

Finally: we are under 60K now but are close to exceeding it. We just rescheduled our service appointment so that we could figure out this warranty issue first. Will Tesla be able to deny us coverage if we hit 60K during the pendency of this dispute?

Thank you for any and all input.

Attachments

• IMG_5754.jpeg
    IMG_5754.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_5753.jpeg
    IMG_5753.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 81
I just came back from the Santa Clara Service Center who replaced the OCS filter under the front passenger seat and then determined that the issue might be with the front passenger airbag. They said my 2018 model 3 (purchased 2 months shy of 5 years ago and with less than 60K) *does* fall under the supplemental restraint system limited warranty. If I had this problem in 2 months, they said it would have cost me a total of around $1500 for the OCS part ($400+), the airbag ($700+) and all the labor.

Does anyone know the name of the federal law that requires that car manufacturers fix a security defect for free?

Here is the Tesla bulletin on the NHTSA web site: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10169819-9999.pdf

Reactions: man0fsteel