Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

return my lease or buy out and sell third party?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any chance you have an update on this? If buying out the lease from Tesla, do you pay the sales tax to Tesla who then handles getting the clear title with your name on it?
At least in CA Tesla does not do anything with taxes. Tesla just quotes you the buyout price with any fees, if applicable. Luckily we took delivery of our lease in March 2019. Tesla added a $350 purchase fee to all leases delivered after April 13, 2019.

Our Credit Union calculated the taxes since we were financing the entire lease purchase. The Credit Union cut one check to Tesla for the buyout amount and another to the CA DMV for taxes and all the other fees to transfer title, registration, etc..

Not sure if it’s done the same way in other states. It was pretty easy, but our credit union deals with Tesla a lot which helped.

Any chance you have an update on this? If buying out the lease from Tesla, do you pay the sales tax to Tesla who then handles getting the clear title with your name on it?
You pay it to the leasing company when you buy out the car. Tesla may or may not be your lease company, as sometimes they use conventional banks. At least that is how it worked when I bought non Tesla leased cars in the past. Probably the best thing to do would be to call up your leasing company and ask.

At least in CA Tesla does not do anything with taxes. Tesla just quotes you the buyout price with any fees, if applicable. Luckily we took delivery of our lease in March 2019. Tesla added a $350 purchase fee to all leases delivered after April 13, 2019.

Our Credit Union calculated the taxes since we were financing the entire lease purchase. The Credit Union cut one check to Tesla for the buyout amount and another to the CA DMV for taxes and all the other fees to transfer title, registration, etc..

Not sure if it’s done the same way in other states. It was pretty easy, but our credit union deals with Tesla a lot which helped.
You pay it to the leasing company when you buy out the car. Tesla may or may not be your lease company, as sometimes they use conventional banks. At least that is how it worked when I bought non Tesla leased cars in the past. Probably the best thing to do would be to call up your leasing company and ask.

Thank you both. Was wondering for MA where there's no exemption like in California (10 days) and relatedly whether the title that Tesla sends you is in your name or theirs with a lien release for you to transfer the title if you were to sell it. I tried searching around to see if I lease a plaid through Tesla and end up going through the buy out option eventually, what restrictions or issues I would have to deal with if I wanted to sell it afterwards. TIA!