Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla "Used Inventory" buying experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So a little over a month ago or so I made the mistake of test driving a used Model 3 AWD at a local car dealership and was instantly hooked.
Lucky for me I didn't buy that one, cuz a few days later Tesla announced the new price drops and that pretty much set the wheels in motion that it was the right time to snag my first Tesla....Thought about new, but didn't want to sell the Porsche, so I set my sights on used decided to put my 428i up for sale...
After searching the usual sites day and night for a lightly used M3 AWD model, I stumbled upon Tesla's used inventory on their website.

I was stunned by their prices being better than the local dealers and private party sellers(at least at that time) and also came with extended warranty and software upgrades for pennies on the dollar it was a no brainier...although committing $500 deposit on a car you can't even see pictures of was a but of a gamble, but well worth it if it paid off....I also saw I could get a Model 3 Performance for just a few more bucks, so I started focusing on those....After making a deal with a buyer on my 428, it was time to find the best deal I could find on the used M3P inventory

after going back and forth all day on a couple that I liked the best, I decided to pull the trigger on a low mile white on black M3P before someone else snatched it up...It was about 2 am when I got home that night and decided I better reserve it now before its gone, even though my 428 wasn't official sold at that moment...eff it, I figured it was worth the gamble
I decided on the 2020 M3P with 25,xxx miles with Enhanced Autopilot for a great price of $41,400

My heart sank when I went to reserve the car and pay the $500 deposit to lock it up with my credit card
"an error has occurred" message came up when I went to complete...huh??
I frantically try again....nope, same message
I try another credit card....nope same message "an error has occurred"

I thought for sure it was because the car was no longer available and a bit shaken :oops:

So, I tried my phone thinking maybe it was an issue with my MacBook

Thank god!! the car was still there, but no wonder the error message kept coming up on my MacBook as that was from earlier in the day on the same browser...but wait!!! it gets even better.....it also has a new price of only $40,100 😀

I was sitting there trying to buy the car three times at the old price, but luckily it wouldn't take it...now I just saved $1300... Hell yes!!!🙌

I lucked out big time with my timing as I checked the next day to see if the other one I was looking at sold or went down even further or if another gem popped up...
well, the other one I was eyeing went up $3000 from the $41,700 to $44,700

So.............long story short, I picked up my 2020 M3P today and couldn't be happier!!!!

She was a MINT and the buying process was seamless ...best looking Tesla on the lot with those dope ass 2020 gun metal wheels 😎

Don't let the few horror stories on here deter you from buy a used Tesla through Tesla....it was one of the best auto buying experiences I ever had.

Picked her up this morning and could not believe how minty she was and how fuggin grin inducing fast this little sleeper is!!!! 😁

tempImageyBM7tG.jpg

IMG_9961.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

Bought mine from Tesla a year ago. A higher mileage 2018 LR with AB and FSD. So, even though I paid on the higher end (it was a two months before the used prices started to skyrocket) it doesn't bother me at all. I love this car so much that it has been well worth it. Like you, I was nervous about buying sight unseen, but every expectation was easily exceeded. I've put 12k miles on it over the last year - and it still looks, runs and drives like new. Totally thrilled.

Reactions: M3_Performante
So a little over a month ago or so I made the mistake of test driving a used Model 3 AWD at a local car dealership and was instantly hooked.
Lucky for me I didn't buy that one, cuz a few days later Tesla announced the new price drops and that pretty much set the wheels in motion that it was the right time to snag my first Tesla....Thought about new, but didn't want to sell the Porsche, so I set my sights on used decided to put my 428i up for sale...
After searching the usual sites day and night for a lightly used M3 AWD model, I stumbled upon Tesla's used inventory on their website.

I was stunned by their prices being better than the local dealers and private party sellers(at least at that time) and also came with extended warranty and software upgrades for pennies on the dollar it was a no brainier...although committing $500 deposit on a car you can't even see pictures of was a but of a gamble, but well worth it if it paid off....I also saw I could get a Model 3 Performance for just a few more bucks, so I started focusing on those....After making a deal with a buyer on my 428, it was time to find the best deal I could find on the used M3P inventory

after going back and forth all day on a couple that I liked the best, I decided to pull the trigger on a low mile white on black M3P before someone else snatched it up...It was about 2 am when I got home that night and decided I better reserve it now before its gone, even though my 428 wasn't official sold at that moment...eff it, I figured it was worth the gamble
I decided on the 2020 M3P with 25,xxx miles with Enhanced Autopilot for a great price of $41,400

My heart sank when I went to reserve the car and pay the $500 deposit to lock it up with my credit card
"an error has occurred" message came up when I went to complete...huh??
I frantically try again....nope, same message
I try another credit card....nope same message "an error has occurred"

I thought for sure it was because the car was no longer available and a bit shaken :oops:

So, I tried my phone thinking maybe it was an issue with my MacBook

Thank god!! the car was still there, but no wonder the error message kept coming up on my MacBook as that was from earlier in the day on the same browser...but wait!!! it gets even better.....it also has a new price of only $40,100 😀

I was sitting there trying to buy the car three times at the old price, but luckily it wouldn't take it...now I just saved $1300... Hell yes!!!🙌

I lucked out big time with my timing as I checked the next day to see if the other one I was looking at sold or went down even further or if another gem popped up...
well, the other one I was eyeing went up $3000 from the $41,700 to $44,700

So.............long story short, I picked up my 2020 M3P today and couldn't be happier!!!!

She was a MINT and the buying process was seamless ...best looking Tesla on the lot with those dope ass 2020 gun metal wheels 😎

Don't let the few horror stories on here deter you from buy a used Tesla through Tesla....it was one of the best auto buying experiences I ever had.

Picked her up this morning and could not believe how minty she was and how fuggin grin inducing fast this little sleeper is!!!! 😁

View attachment 906934

View attachment 906933

View attachment 906932
Very nice looking! The price drops are what made me get my M3 less than a month ago as well!

Attachments

• 3AECC531-20D9-488B-920A-F8B0F0FC7D9C.jpeg
    3AECC531-20D9-488B-920A-F8B0F0FC7D9C.jpeg
    777.6 KB · Views: 154
We did the same, I totaled my wives 2018M3LR RWD and purchased through Tesla. Wanted an older one for Primarily cost with loss of Radar and USS also contributing, could not be happier.
2021 M3LW Red like her original only better. $47K plus Delivery put us at $49K. Same car with the discounts as configured with EAP was $60K with Destination Charges, etc.. These are all tax and out the door. Took the low Miles, 18K on the Odometer over those a bit more expensive with Higher Miles and FSD.
For me I drive a lot of miles, so I just purchased a Used 2016 Model X Red well cared for with 37K Miles from a local dealership. I do over 30K miles a year, easy on a good year. So for me the number one feature was Free Unlimited Super Charging and Price. I got it for 50K out the door, switching my F250 netting me $350 back from the dealer.

LOVE BOTH CARS. SO GLAD YOU GOT THIS ONE, IT IS REALLY NICE LOOKING CAR. Love the red calibers really stick out.

Reactions: M3_Performante
We did the same, I totaled my wives 2018M3LR RWD and purchased through Tesla. Wanted an older one for Primarily cost with loss of Radar and USS also contributing, could not be happier.
2021 M3LW Red like her original only better. $47K plus Delivery put us at $49K. Same car with the discounts as configured with EAP was $60K with Destination Charges, etc.. These are all tax and out the door. Took the low Miles, 18K on the Odometer over those a bit more expensive with Higher Miles and FSD.
For me I drive a lot of miles, so I just purchased a Used 2016 Model X Red well cared for with 37K Miles from a local dealership. I do over 30K miles a year, easy on a good year. So for me the number one feature was Free Unlimited Super Charging and Price. I got it for 50K out the door, switching my F250 netting me $350 back from the dealer.

LOVE BOTH CARS. SO GLAD YOU GOT THIS ONE, IT IS REALLY NICE LOOKING CAR. Love the red calibers really stick out.
Nice! yeah that USC is insane value especially if you are commuting ....great find 👍

Congrats, that's a great looking ride! I have a question. When buying used directly from Tesla, does the car get added to the app during the purchase so you can supercharge on the way home? I'm looking to buy about 4 hours away and will need to charge on the trip back.

Congrats, that's a great looking ride! I have a question. When buying used directly from Tesla, does the car get added to the app during the purchase so you can supercharge on the way home? I'm looking to buy about 4 hours away and will need to charge on the trip back.
yes, it works right away....just need to add a payment method to your account to pay for charging stations

Reactions: cpaull