Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rim protector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For our M3 with 19” sport wheels, we use the Yeslak Uberturbines black wheel covers and really like the protection and look:
1688903347886.jpeg

Good advice is to buy an additional spare cover just in case.
Two of the five have been hit, survived and still look great.

For our MYP with real 21” Uberturbines, it was our first T and were not aware we needed the protection but now have taken these steps:
Two wheels with bad hits
Totally need rim protection
-For the quick look repair we apply black from a Sharpie Extreme pen, this works unless you look real close and see the color difference
-Early on we purchased AlloyGator rim protection that we will install. Know they protect and the reason we purchased, but how well do they survive subsequent hits? Unsure
-I’m very interested in the Magbak Rimcases but now discouraged by the segment fall offs stated in this thread. Hoping Magbak resolves this manuf shortfall. Magbak makes very high quality products and this is not typical of them.
What I really like about the Rimcases is the modularity of the replacement segments once damaged.
When this product came out, I felt it was going to be the best solution, again hope Magbak makes it so.

Reactions: jdgordon7
Thank you for the update. My set arrived over two weeks ago. I’ve yet to install them as the installation process looks much more time consuming than the video snippets on the website suggested. The wheels should be washed/cleaned and the provided protective film applied before the protectors are snapped on. I thought I could just snap them on quickly, but now I’ll have to wait until I make time to do it properly.
Two more suggestions:
1. You will probably need a stem extender to access the valve for tire pressure adjustment.
2. Maintaining a high PSI (42) could (possibly) reduce the chance of segments getting loose and falling off. What I understood from MagBak is that sharp turns could increase the lateral tire wall pressure, thus dislodging a segment. This is also related to the low profile of those tires. Higher PSI would probably reduce this effect.

Try a 'Wheel Bands' protector kit for $120. Enough material to do 4 21 inch wheels with a bit left over. This approach keeps rim rash from happening. I had it on my M3 for four years and it saved me several times when too close to the curb, etc. Works like a charm, and I recommend them highly.
Comes with a stick-on channel into which you press a tube in one of several colors. Both the stick-on channel and the tube are replaceable if they take a hit. Easy installation: just peel off the backing on the automotive grade emblem tape strip, position the channel on the edge of the wheel rim and stick it on, then press the tubing into the channel with the tool supplied. Test-fit and cut to length - use a utility knife or a set of shears. URL is wheelbands.com.
Here's some info from their website:

Wheel Bands.JPG
Wheel Bands 2.JPG

Reactions: freed0m
Two more suggestions:
1. You will probably need a stem extender to access the valve for tire pressure adjustment.
2. Maintaining a high PSI (42) could (possibly) reduce the chance of segments getting loose and falling off. What I understood from MagBak is that sharp turns could increase the lateral tire wall pressure, thus dislodging a segment. This is also related to the low profile of those tires. Higher PSI would probably reduce this effect.
Wow! Thanks for all of the info. Sounds like maybe MagBak released these too soon. My install will have to wait until I get home from vacation at the end of this month. However, given your experience so far I wonder if I should just seek to return them unused and get a refund!?!

More segments became loose. MagBak were very good in sending replacement. However, I have doubt about longevity of the the current design. I am told that they are improving it; but this won't be ready for a few weeks.
The first wheel took more than one hour. Applying the film takes time. However, the most difficult (for me) was applying enough force to secure the segments.
I hope yours will fare well.
I am just about to pull the plug and purchase the MagBak RimCase. I wonder if they will let me know if I am getting the current run or the new version? Maybe I should wait?

I did not install my AlloyGators yet and waiting for the new Rimcases before considering as I like the modular approach.
Question is, what happens with future curb impact with these protections?

If bad enough, does rhe AlloyGators scrape off?
This example shows it stays on but damaged letting you decide when to replace:
1691765084309.png

Or does it partially fall off causing insanity with a half install strip spinning around?

With Rimcases, does just the impacted pieces fall off? If Magbak is successful with the new version, I can see non stop buying replacement pieces. Keep them in the glovebox. 😵‍💫

I'm at the point of just trying to be extra careful when parking and use light sandbrick with gray touchup
Screenshot_20230811_075216_Amazon Shopping.jpg
paint to cover up the wheel scrapes. That's what I did with my first scrape and you don't notice it unless you're looking carefully.

More segments became loose. MagBak were very good in sending replacement. However, I have doubt about longevity of the the current design. I am told that they are improving it; but this won't be ready for a few weeks.
The first wheel took more than one hour. Applying the film takes time. However, the most difficult (for me) was applying enough force to secure the segments.
I hope yours will fare well.
I have been using the MagBak for most of the summer and into the fall. I have lost a total of three segments; one segment snapped in half. I'm unsure how the one snapped in half; only the thick part remained on the wheel. I have to walk around the car almost every time I go for a drive to make sure there are no loose segments. I did lose 1 in a car wash. I know not best. However, I was in a hurry and did not want the sap from the trees I was parked under to sit too long, and I did not have access to my typical two-bucket-cleaning system when traveling. Anyways, I did order a 5th set but did not think I would need to open that pack the same week I installed them. I will contact Magbak and see if they can comp a spare set, as I know more will eventually be lost.

I like them, but I wish they would come in other colors, like Blue to match my MYP 2022 or Red to match the calipers. I think they are working to protect the rims; just a bit more maintenance by checking them before driving.

Did you receive PrioRim Rim Protectors, even I ordered around 10 days back. I tried contacting company with couple of emails but no response from them
I have not received them yet; the site says they are being shipped in mid-Q3 2023. So I am waiting patiently. I did reach out to see when they expect to ship in Q3, as my house is up for sale, and I may be moving. I also noticed on the website that they have changed the product name, and now they are calling them "Rim Magic" by PRIORIM. So maybe the ones I ordered in May 2023 are launch editions; who knows? I checked with my CC company to make sure I can dispute the charge if they never come, and they said yes for 1 year. I also noticed the price has increased; they are now listed on the site for $383.40 before tax and shipping. The set I have on order is $366.36, including the tax and shipping. If I end up liking them, I will order another set for MYLR 7 seater that I will be taking delivery of this weekend for my wife.