Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rim protector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Called the PrioRim Technologies phone as no response on email wondering where they were. Indicated, he would credit my card as they would not be here for awhile. I cancelled the order.
I have not received them yet; the site says they are being shipped in mid-Q3 2023. So I am waiting patiently. I did reach out to see when they expect to ship in Q3, as my house is up for sale, and I may be moving. I also noticed on the website that they have changed the product name, and now they are calling them "Rim Magic" by PRIORIM. So maybe the ones I ordered in May 2023 are launch editions; who knows? I checked with my CC company to make sure I can dispute the charge if they never come, and they said yes for 1 year. I also noticed the price has increased; they are now listed on the site for $383.40 before tax and shipping. The set I have on order is $366.36, including the tax and shipping. If I end up liking them, I will order another set for MYLR 7 seater that I will be taking delivery of this weekend for my wife.

The aftermarket wheel cover will be a good alternative for curb rash protection, and it can change the wheel's look.
and the rim protector will interfere if you have wheel covers on.

So, here is an update on the 21" Uberturbine rim case. As noted before, I have had a few of them coming loose for no real reason and have been checking them for misalignment before each drive. I heard from another user that they improved the design fitment from the early sets. I believe I have some early sets as I ordered them and had to wait a very long time to get them, like two months. I reached out to MagBak, explained my issue, and sent pictures along with the original order details, like the date ordered and the date received, so they could verify an early batch. They did want to know more information like where the loose sections were compared to the valve stem, and if possible, how often they come loose, if I used the PPF stickers, if I had hit anything or had bent rims, and what tires and size I had. These all seemed like reasonable questions, and I answered honestly and as accurately as possible and included updated pictures so they could see the fit alignment issues. They asked how many regular pieces and valve stem pieces I needed. I responded with a number (16 regulars, 3 for the lost ones, 1 for the broken 1, and 12 for three loose per wheel and 4 valve stems as 2 of the loose ones on each wheel are connected to the valve stem, and it could be an issue). I also added a note that if they have updated the design and fitment, then I would rather just have a full replacement of the 5 sets (each wheel plus the spare that I ordered originally). They are shipping replacement of the 5 sets; while they did not confirm that there was an update to the design, I think there has been. I know that they fit a lot better on my wife's 2023 MY LR 20" Inductions than my 2022 MYP 21" Uberturbine. I am very glad I installed them right away on her car because the 2023 MY LR with FSD does not have AUTOPARK yet, and the third day after installing, she curbed the rims parallel parking. Only the rim cases were scratched, and even 2 popped off. She was able to reattach them without issue, and the rims still look great with no scratches. So, I am a believer that they do work. Also of note is the MagBak customer service was great; they were responsive to emails and responded within 24 hours during weekdays. They asked reasonable questions to help them improve the product and document issues of key sections.

Reactions: Silence88
So, here is an update on the 21" Uberturbine rim case. As noted before, I have had a few of them coming loose for no real reason and have been checking them for misalignment before each drive. I heard from another user that they improved the design fitment from the early sets. I believe I have some early sets as I ordered them and had to wait a very long time to get them, like two months. I reached out to MagBak, explained my issue, and sent pictures along with the original order details, like the date ordered and the date received, so they could verify an early batch. They did want to know more information like where the loose sections were compared to the valve stem, and if possible, how often they come loose, if I used the PPF stickers, if I had hit anything or had bent rims, and what tires and size I had. These all seemed like reasonable questions, and I answered honestly and as accurately as possible and included updated pictures so they could see the fit alignment issues. They asked how many regular pieces and valve stem pieces I needed. I responded with a number (16 regulars, 3 for the lost ones, 1 for the broken 1, and 12 for three loose per wheel and 4 valve stems as 2 of the loose ones on each wheel are connected to the valve stem, and it could be an issue). I also added a note that if they have updated the design and fitment, then I would rather just have a full replacement of the 5 sets (each wheel plus the spare that I ordered originally). They are shipping replacement of the 5 sets; while they did not confirm that there was an update to the design, I think there has been. I know that they fit a lot better on my wife's 2023 MY LR 20" Inductions than my 2022 MYP 21" Uberturbine. I am very glad I installed them right away on her car because the 2023 MY LR with FSD does not have AUTOPARK yet, and the third day after installing, she curbed the rims parallel parking. Only the rim cases were scratched, and even 2 popped off. She was able to reattach them without issue, and the rims still look great with no scratches. So, I am a believer that they do work. Also of note is the MagBak customer service was great; they were responsive to emails and responded within 24 hours during weekdays. They asked reasonable questions to help them improve the product and document issues of key sections.
I received the new set of RimCases from Magbak and they do fit better. Tighter fitment needs more pressure to install. So if you are having issues with early versions, I recommend reaching out to see about getting the updated version. The case has different backside compared to early version. Still wish they came in colors.

Hi all, Magbak just released two new colors for RimCase, Red, which I have been wanting for a while, and White for those wanting some monochrome contrast. I ordered some red ones and will report back on the results. I will post some pictures too. These will be for the 21” Uberturbine 2022 MYP.

Reactions: Yeslak
The aftermarket wheel cover will be a good alternative for curb rash protection, and it can change the wheel's look.
and the rim protector will interfere if you have wheel covers on.
Hi @Yeslak, these wheel covers are for standard 19” Gemini and there is one set for 20” Induction. I did not see any for 21” Uberturbine, is that correct? It is interesting that the 20” come in the Uberturbine style so that to casual observer you could mimic performance look. I also like the fact they come on gunmetal gray and in black. My preference would be black to match the rest of the black trim on my 2023 MYLR 7 seater. Thanks for posting and sharing an alternative for 20” Induction wheels.

Reactions: Yeslak
Hi @Yeslak, these wheel covers are for standard 19” Gemini and there is one set for 20” Induction. I did not see any for 21” Uberturbine, is that correct? It is interesting that the 20” come in the Uberturbine style so that to casual observer you could mimic performance look. I also like the fact they come on gunmetal gray and in black. My preference would be black to match the rest of the black trim on my 2023 MYLR 7 seater. Thanks for posting and sharing an alternative for 20” Induction wheels.
Yes, there aren't wheel covers for 21'' Uberturbine wheels, because those wheel covers for 19 and 20 are mostly designed in the performance look, so you don't have to pay a lot to upgrade the 20 inch or 21 inch wheels, but a set of the wheel cover is slightly extended to cover the wheel rim to protect your wheels from curb damages.

Installed the MagBak Rim Case this week. Insurance policy in place. Pro Tip: The hardest part is pulling the backside tape of each cover, so just pre-pull all of them prior to installation. That way you know when you're ready to pull them they'll come off. I actually just pulled them all after I had put the "PPF" for the rim. Prior to installation.

It is time consuming after cleaning your rims and rubbing it down with the provided alcohol wipe, the meticulous process of putting in the plastic "PPF" for the rims. Just take your time.

If the final plastic piece cover does not seem to go under, move your car so that you have leverage when attempting to pull up on the valve stem piece for the final connection.

You should do this if you're having issues installing the other pieces. I know that after installing three I was struggling a bit on the last wheel. Thought about moving the car, but got the upper pieces in place. Lastly, ensure you have full clicked all the segments, there should be no additional bulge if you look at the rim from an angle.

I'm no DIY guy, but if I can do it.

ucan.jpg

I purchased wheel covers (mostly to protect the rims) from YesLak. Yes, wheel covers are expensive. I'm thinking wheel covers are way more cheaper than rims. I made sure the wheel covers purchased, covered the rims. I would have NEVER thought I would damage my rims. However, I discovered that there have been several times I've damaged the wheel covers, not the rims. Now that Tesla Vision is in place maybe this 'old' driver will stop running up against the curb when parking. :)
If necessary, try our new products- All-in-one Rimcase Rim Protector ;)
Product link: https://bit.ly/40UDtZy

Teslaunch rim protector.png

Had the MagBak Rim Case for about 3-4 weeks on 21 inch Uberturbine wheels. Here is my impression:
1. Smart design that perfectly fits the wheels.
2. Installation requires more force (and time) than you might expect.
3. Held well at highway speeds up to 90 mph (or more)and I was about ready to write a raving report, until:
4. Discovered one segment missing from the front passenger wheel 2 days ago. I did not hear any suspicious noises when it fell off.
I now have mixed feelings and wanted to share my experience with potential buyers.
If necessary, try our new products- All-in-one Rimcase Rim Protector ;);)
Product link: https://bit.ly/40UDtZy

Teslaunch rim protector.png

More segments became loose. MagBak were very good in sending replacement. However, I have doubt about longevity of the the current design. I am told that they are improving it; but this won't be ready for a few weeks.
The first wheel took more than one hour. Applying the film takes time. However, the most difficult (for me) was applying enough force to secure the segments.
I hope yours will fare well.

When the segments fall off, is there any chance that they will hit the car body and damage the paint?