Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rim protector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased wheel covers (mostly to protect the rims) from YesLak. Yes, wheel covers are expensive. I'm thinking wheel covers are way more cheaper than rims. I made sure the wheel covers purchased, covered the rims. I would have NEVER thought I would damage my rims. However, I discovered that there have been several times I've damaged the wheel covers, not the rims. Now that Tesla Vision is in place maybe this 'old' driver will stop running up against the curb when parking. :)

I purchased wheel covers (mostly to protect the rims) from YesLak. Yes, wheel covers are expensive. I'm thinking wheel covers are way more cheaper than rims. I made sure the wheel covers purchased, covered the rims. I would have NEVER thought I would damage my rims. However, I discovered that there have been several times I've damaged the wheel covers, not the rims. Now that Tesla Vision is in place maybe this 'old' driver will stop running up against the curb when parking. :)

Wheel covers may be cheaper than rims, but they are probably more expensive than getting the rims repaired if you scrape them.

@jjrandorin Because I just don't know, can we get rims repaired in Boise, ID? I probably didn't make that clear in my post as to my thinking. Thanks for pointing that out. Maybe some forum members can point me to shops/businesses that can help and 'old' person with enhancements I'd like to make to my MYLR but do not have the expertise to get them done. Thanks -- great group of folks willing to help.

Reactions: beewang
@jjrandorin Because I just don't know, can we get rims repaired in Boise, ID? I probably didn't make that clear in my post as to my thinking. Thanks for pointing that out. Maybe some forum members can point me to shops/businesses that can help and 'old' person with enhancements I'd like to make to my MYLR but do not have the expertise to get them done. Thanks -- great group of folks willing to help.

I have no idea if you have contractors that do that in idaho. I would imagine you do, as its a common practice for expensive wheels. I just got mine repaired by someone in southern california, and know that this is not something that is new.

From the Idaho Tesla FB group, I've heard that "Hubcap Annie's" in Boise can do a great rim repair for a reasonable price. I have not personally used them, so perhaps it's worth a call to them if you want more info. I have one small spot of curb rash on the 21" Uber wheel of my MYP, and I purchased the Zink wheel repair kit to DIY the repair. I've just been waiting for some warm weather to get it done.

Reactions: IdahoGuy2022
Was wondering if anyone here use these Magbak rim protector on their 20" induction wheels looks damn good not sure how the quality is price is a little steep $299. Looking for feedback before I spend money on these.
MagBak RimCase - Wheel Protector for Tesla Model 3 & Y (4 Wheel Pack)
I’m wondering if you need to cover all 4 wheels, or can you cover just the one with the damaged rim? If you need them on all 4, it probably would make sense to get the extra set because chances are, some piece will have to get replaced at some point, no?

I have ordered the Uberturbine set hopefully they work well. I have used Rimsavers in the past which are attached with 3m adhesive. However over time you have to replace as the adhesive fails in 9 to 12 months with regular washing. Also if you do curb them you best remove as they will then come off at speed. I did really like the fact you can get colors with Rimsavers, red looked great. I did try AlloyGator however the did not fit 2022 MYP with Pzero Uberturbine combination. I wish these Magbak protectors would come in colors like red, yellow, blue, etc. I will update how they work. I did 4 set plus spare.

I took my MYP in to get some PPF replaced due to damage from road debris that pulled back and crinkled up. Talking with the shop owner about rim protection he shared this product. PrioRim Rim Protectors
I ordered a set of red, will let you know how it goes.
Did you receive PrioRim Rim Protectors, even I ordered around 10 days back. I tried contacting company with couple of emails but no response from them

I've seen the MagBak rim protectors on Instagram ads numerous times the past few weeks. Specifically, they look designed for UT wheels. It seems like a good idea, but my fear would be them flying off on the highway at high speeds. I've seen that as a common concern and a deterrent to purchasing. Time will tell.

I took my MYP in to get some PPF replaced due to damage from road debris that pulled back and crinkled up. Talking with the shop owner about rim protection he shared this product. PrioRim Rim Protectors
I ordered a set of red, will let you know how it goes.
I'm interested in the red also; please let us know how you like them. Quite pricy, but if it's quality, it's worth the price.

Had the MagBak Rim Case for about 3-4 weeks on 21 inch Uberturbine wheels. Here is my impression:
1. Smart design that perfectly fits the wheels.
2. Installation requires more force (and time) than you might expect.
3. Held well at highway speeds up to 90 mph (or more)and I was about ready to write a raving report, until:
4. Discovered one segment missing from the front passenger wheel 2 days ago. I did not hear any suspicious noises when it fell off.
I now have mixed feelings and wanted to share my experience with potential buyers.

Attachments

• tempImageC1l47k.png
    tempImageC1l47k.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 783
Had the MagBak Rim Case for about 3-4 weeks on 21 inch Uberturbine wheels. Here is my impression:
1. Smart design that perfectly fits the wheels.
2. Installation requires more force (and time) than you might expect.
3. Held well at highway speeds up to 90 mph (or more)and I was about ready to write a raving report, until:
4. Discovered one segment missing from the front passenger wheel 2 days ago. I did not hear any suspicious noises when it fell off.
I now have mixed feelings and wanted to share my experience with potential buyers.
Thank you for the update. My set arrived over two weeks ago. I’ve yet to install them as the installation process looks much more time consuming than the video snippets on the website suggested. The wheels should be washed/cleaned and the provided protective film applied before the protectors are snapped on. I thought I could just snap them on quickly, but now I’ll have to wait until I make time to do it properly.

Thank you for the update. My set arrived over two weeks ago. I’ve yet to install them as the installation process looks much more time consuming than the video snippets on the website suggested. The wheels should be washed/cleaned and the provided protective film applied before the protectors are snapped on. I thought I could just snap them on quickly, but now I’ll have to wait until I make time to do it properly.
More segments became loose. MagBak were very good in sending replacement. However, I have doubt about longevity of the the current design. I am told that they are improving it; but this won't be ready for a few weeks.
The first wheel took more than one hour. Applying the film takes time. However, the most difficult (for me) was applying enough force to secure the segments.
I hope yours will fare well.

Reactions: freed0m