Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road trip from SF to Las Vegas & renting model Y on Turo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear fellow drivers,

I am currently based in Seoul and returning to the U.S. next month.
My partner owns model3 and we have been occasionally sleeping in the car but regretted we didn't purchase modelY for that purpose.
We decided to take a road trip from San Francisco to Las Vegas where she attends a work conference in early June and while searching for a rental car, I came across an app called Turo which wasn't available when I lived in East Coast 10 years ago.
I was told it is like Airbnb for wheels and found some options available. Would you recommend using this app?
It also would be great if anyone can recommend any spot to spend the night if I mostly take route 1 as we have to make a stop in LA before heading toward Las Vegas.
I have been living abroad since 2013 and my memory is a bit fuzzy regarding sleeping in a car whether it is prohibited at certain places.
Am stoked to take this road trip so hope to get as many suggestions from you guys. Thanks.

The big rental agencies have Teslas now and usually even cheaper than Turo. Turo can be nice if you want to rent a specific vehicle, but it can also be more restrictive and annoying since hosts can limit things like daily mileage or how far you can take the vehicle or have weird pick up/drop off requirements.

If you’re talking about CA Hwy 1, a large portion of it is closed indefinitely along the central coast south of Big Sur due to landslides and road damage from major storms this winter. It will not be possible to drive from SF to LA along the coast unfortunately.

Upvote 0
The big rental agencies have Teslas now and usually even cheaper than Turo. Turo can be nice if you want to rent a specific vehicle, but it can also be more restrictive and annoying since hosts can limit things like daily mileage or how far you can take the vehicle or have weird pick up/drop off requirements.

If you’re talking about CA Hwy 1, a large portion of it is closed indefinitely along the central coast south of Big Sur due to landslides and road damage from major storms this winter. It will not be possible to drive from SF to LA along the coast unfortunately.
Thanks a lot. I didn't know about the landslides and that is unfortunate indeed. It would be my partner's first time to West Coast and I really wanted to let her take a glimpse into this scenic route. Do you happen to know any site which updates about the blockage of road here? Want to check if I should still try to partially drive and what would the alternative detour options I can have.
I was mainly searching on Kayak/Priceline but for model Y the price already started from around $110 so I will keep looking.
The trip starts at the end of May and will rent a car for over 20 days so trying to find the best deal whether from traditional rental companies or these alternative apps.

Upvote 0
Google/Apple maps should show the closure if you zoom into the area but you can just Google CA Hwy 1 closure and there’s several sources.

There is no detour in the area so if you wanted to see Big Sur you would need to double back to Salinas afterwards and then head down 101.

Upvote 0
Renting a Model Y (anywhere) for 20 days to sleep in it would be about the same $ amount as driving your own Model 3 and stay at a clean budget hotel every night.

As for Turo, yeah lots of people use it including my niece. She said it is the best place to rent the exact car you want. Renting a Model Y would be like $100/day so I am not sure you want to do that for 20 days. If you just want to test out sleeping in a Model Y, you could just rent it at a location in the middle of the trip for a few days and return it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Google/Apple maps should show the closure if you zoom into the area but you can just Google CA Hwy 1 closure and there’s several sources.

There is no detour in the area so if you wanted to see Big Sur you would need to double back to Salinas afterwards and then head down 101.
Thanks a lot again. When I just checked now, (though it was updated on April 13th)the northern end of the highway closure is now at Big Creek Vista Point, Monterey County post mile 27. The next bypass road I once took was from around Kirk Creek Campground to Fort Hunter(Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd) which is super winding road but I guess I can't count on it to be open again by the time I plan to pass through on May 21st.
I really appreciate your advice.

Upvote 0
Renting a Model Y (anywhere) for 20 days to sleep in it would be about the same $ amount as driving your own Model 3 and stay at a clean budget hotel every night.

As for Turo, yeah lots of people use it including my niece. She said it is the best place to rent the exact car you want. Renting a Model Y would be like $100/day so I am not sure you want to do that for 20 days. If you just want to test out sleeping in a Model Y, you could just rent it at a location in the middle of the trip for a few days and return it.
We are based in Seoul where my partner is driving her model 3. Yeah, not cheap but not like how I remembered, renting a gas car off SF area isn't as cheap as I thought either and after giving some thought, to reduce the hassle of keep looking for motels along the way, we just decided to give it a try by using Turo and just booked model Y. Thanks for your concern though. I assume charger stations including super charger would be abundant in California for being the birth place of Tesla?

Upvote 0
We are based in Seoul where my partner is driving her model 3. Yeah, not cheap but not like how I remembered, renting a gas car off SF area isn't as cheap as I thought either and after giving some thought, to reduce the hassle of keep looking for motels along the way, we just decided to give it a try by using Turo and just booked model Y. Thanks for your concern though. I assume charger stations including super charger would be abundant in California for being the birth place of Tesla?
Ah, I mistakenly thought while you are in Seoul, your partner is in SF driving the Model 3. Yeah, you are not going to have problems with supercharging except some of them may have a wait. We drive our Model X from LA up and down the coast all the time and to Las Vegas as well for the last 5 years.

Upvote 0