Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road trip through Blazing Heat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a Yankee, where 95 generates excessive heat warnings. Next week though I'm planning a x-country trip which will route from Grand Junction Co to Vegas to LA, I-70 and I-15. Any advice welcome, first time trying this in an EV, 2022 Model Y LR.

I think the best would be using the onboard GPS to route you to supercharger stations. I don’t have my Tesla yet but I have already checked out YouTube videos about LA to Yellowstone route. You might want to check out from your starting point to UT for the superchargers.
I assume you would do hotel? Or just car camping? You might want to factor the destination charging at hotels. However, from what I read / watch, the destination chargers would be either be used occupied by ICE cars.

I did a similar trip from Charlotte to Los Angeles back in March of this year. I went down to I-10 for the trip West, and came back I-40.

East of the Mississippi, superchargers are so frequent along the interstates that you should be able to skip some. Once you get out West, you may want to stop at every one, just to be safe, or because as an excuse to stretch your legs anyway.

I had reasonable success with hotel chargers, either Tesla or J-1772. I was able to book a reasonable hotel about half the nights of my trip, and a couple of times that I couldn't it was because I waited too late and the whole hotel was sold out. (The road trip itself was half the reason I was taking it, and I was really winging the route.) At least once, if I hadn't called ahead and asked them to put a traffic cone in one of the charging spots, it would have been ICE'ed, so I recommend you call ahead to every hotel that you hope to charge at.

Sounds like a great route, despite the summer heat. Good luck; I hope you have fun!

Reactions: theocguy
While driving, don't worry. Once the cabin is cooled down, the A/C doesn't use much power. However when you are parked, you'll want one of those reflective windshield screens to mitigate heat build up. While you may find a generic one at your friendly local auto parts store that sort-of fits, a custom cut one like from Heatshields is better. I've been buying Heatshields for all my cars for over 30 years. With care, they can last 5 or more years before they start to become brittle.

The desert heat, while extreme and dangerous doesn't leave you with the muggy unable-to-breath nature of hot east coast temperatures with high humidity.
Suggestion: Be prepared for emergencies: 1 gallon of water/person is my recommendation, have hats, long-sleeve shirts, long pants, and umbrellas with you. You'll go through some very remote areas.
Other than that, there are plenty of Superchargers along the way. Green River, UT can be inconvenient if you arrive after hours when the museum is closed. The nearby hotel does not permit use of their restroom. You pretty much have to stop there since the longest gap on the US Interstate Highway system without any services (including cellphone coverage) is between it and Richfield, UT (actually Salina, UT but there's no Supercharger in Salina). There is a restaurant across the street for a good meal.
Your Air Conditioning should handle the heat just fine. Make judicious use of your app to pre-cool the cabin before you return to your car, while it is still supercharging for max comfort. You might even leave the AC on hold if you leave the car to keep it reasonable.
Enjoy the open road.