Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster & Level-3 or ChadeMo / Supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Volt and ELR. Max-charging is 15A / 240V, so I'm stuck with the Level-2 J1772 chargers through PlugShare, etc. Here in Colorado Springs, there's some Superchargers by Tesla installed (finally!) I know that Level-3 chargers are primarily for the Model S, but I was wondering that since the adapters by Tesla are likely to be the Tesla-standard (not the J1772), what would happen if I plugged a Roadster into it? Would it work? Also, aside from the 3.0 upgrade, can a Tesla Roadster handle a ChadeMo or Direct-Current charger with an adapter?

Don't own one yet.. looking at options. Trying to decide if the 2.0/2.5 is worth it.

Roadster & Level-3 or ChadeMo / Supercharging?

@mikecronis

Read the forums first... No Supercharging. There is a project right now from QuickChargePower to enable up to 20 Roadsters with CHAdeMO using the JdeMO that they are developing.

Quick charger power site - http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JdeMo-for-Tesla-Roadster-INTERESTED-OWN...

SpeakEV.com - https://speakev.com/threads/chademo-for-tesla-roadster-quick-charge-powe...
TMC - http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/55093-JdeMO-for-the-Roadster

Hope that helps...

Last edited:
I have a Volt and ELR. Max-charging is 15A / 240V, so I'm stuck with the Level-2 J1772 chargers through PlugShare, etc. Here in Colorado Springs, there's some Superchargers by Tesla installed (finally!) I know that Level-3 chargers are primarily for the Model S, but I was wondering that since the adapters by Tesla are likely to be the Tesla-standard (not the J1772), what would happen if I plugged a Roadster into it? Would it work? Also, aside from the 3.0 upgrade, can a Tesla Roadster handle a ChadeMo or Direct-Current charger with an adapter?

I was hesitant to respond because I didn't want to sound like I was promoting my products (I sell adapters for the Roadster) but I may be the only person who knows the answer to your question about supercharging a Roadster using an adapter. I'm not sure what you mean by "adapters by Tesla are likely to be the Tesla-standard (not the J1772)..." J1772 is not an adapter although adapters exist to allow Tesla vehicles to use the J1772 standard. It's likely going forward that Tesla will use their TSLA02 connector (Model S/X) as the native coupler on future models. It's not likely that any other brand will adopt Tesla's proprietary coupler for a long time, if ever.

The Roadster is not designed for DC charging (Level 3) and can't do it with just an adapter. It needs hardware modifications like the kit that Dennis mentioned being developed by Quick Charge Power. The same is true with Supercharging. If you took one of my CAN SRs (Model S/X to Roadster adapter) and plugged a Supercharger into it, nothing would happen. The Roadster would think you weren't plugged into anything, and the Supercharger would act like there was no car on the end of the cable.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
I was hesitant to respond because I didn't want to sound like I was promoting my products (I sell adapters for the Roadster) but I may be the only person who knows the answer to your question about supercharging a Roadster using an adapter. I'm not sure what you mean by "adapters by Tesla are likely to be the Tesla-standard (not the J1772)..." J1772 is not an adapter although adapters exist to allow Tesla vehicles to use the J1772 standard. It's likely going forward that Tesla will use their TSLA02 connector (Model S/X) as the native coupler on future models. It's not likely that any other brand will adopt Tesla's proprietary coupler for a long time, if ever.

The Roadster is not designed for DC charging (Level 3) and can't do it with just an adapter. It needs hardware modifications like the kit that Dennis mentioned being developed by Quick Charge Power. The same is true with Supercharging. If you took one of my CAN SRs (Model S/X to Roadster adapter) and plugged a Supercharger into it, nothing would happen. The Roadster would think you weren't plugged into anything, and the Supercharger would act like there was no car on the end of the cable.

+1 on Henry's CAN products... They're both MUST HAVE.

Here's the review I wrote on my blog for both The Original CAN (now CAN JR for J1772 to Roadster) and The CAN SR (Model S to Roadster.) And the discussion thread of when the CAN SR was being developed.

Henry is one of the experts with all these.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Roadster was developed before Tesla created their Supercharging system. Many people have asked Tesla to create a kit to allow Roadsters to use Superchargers, but they don't seem inclined to do so. Their Focus is on the current vehicles they sell.

On the other hand, keep in mind that Roadster has an on-board charger that can charge at ~19kW (80AMP @ 240V), so it is probably the most capable AC medium speed charging solution of any EV that was sold. Most of the public EVSEs are only ~7kW (30A @ 240V) so it is mainly only for selected home charging that you could get those higher charge rates. There are a few places here or there with 60A or 70A J1772 that can feed a Roadster through one of Henry's "CAN" adapters.

Roadster was developed before Tesla created their Supercharging system. Many people have asked Tesla to create a kit to allow Roadsters to use Superchargers, but they don't seem inclined to do so. Their Focus is on the current vehicles they sell.

On the other hand, keep in mind that Roadster has an on-board charger that can charge at ~19kW (80AMP @ 240V), so it is probably the most capable AC medium speed charging solution of any EV that was sold. Most of the public EVSEs are only ~7kW (30A @ 240V) so it is mainly only for selected home charging that you could get those higher charge rates. There are a few places here or there with 60A or 70A J1772 that can feed a Roadster through one of Henry's "CAN" adapters.

@TEG, the Renault Zoe can do 43kW on 3 phase charging in the EU... And in Canada, a lot of the AC chargers on Sun Country Highway's Network that are running 70A/80A on OEM Clipper Creek CS-100 and a Roadster or Model S traveling that network can charge at max AC charging speed.

++ on Henry's adapters. I use the CAN-JR, which connects to the popular public "J1772" charging stations almost daily, and have used the CAN-SR, which connects to the original Model -S chargers (the "high power wall charger", or HPWC, not supercharger) when on a trip.

As you probably are aware, the J1772 chargers are "Level 2", typically about 30 amps though some are higher, good for a boost during the day (while shopping, dining, etc). We have some at work, and I can do a commute round-trip's worth (60mi) of charging in just a few hours. But they're not very convenient if you're needing a full charge, which at 30A would take about 7 hrs, as the sites usually limit you to a few hour's stay (think parking time limits).

The HPWC chargers are harder to find in the wild, but there are some around. Many but not all can charge the Roadster at its full 70A rate. Look for these at "destinations" such as Hotels and resorts. The Tesla service centers often have them as well. I'd recommend you check out the Plug-Share site (PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find the nearest location to charge your electric car!) and scout around your expected driving area to see what's available.

As for your last question, we may be a bit biased here, but is the car worth it? YES! The "Tesla Grin" comes standard, at no extra charge.

++ on Henry's adapters. I use the CAN-JR, which connects to the popular public "J1772" charging stations almost daily, and have used the CAN-SR, which connects to the original Model -S chargers (the "high power wall charger", or HPWC, not supercharger) when on a trip.

The HPWC chargers are harder to find in the wild, but there are some around. Many but not all can charge the Roadster at its full 70A rate. Look for these at "destinations" such as Hotels and resorts. The Tesla service centers often have them as well. I'd recommend you check out the Plug-Share site (PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find the nearest location to charge your electric car!) and scout around your expected driving area to see what's available.

As for your last question, we may be a bit biased here, but is the car worth it? YES! The "Tesla Grin" comes standard, at no extra charge.

I added the emphasis... Please note that some of the Model S HPWC chargers in the wild may only deliver 40A or less depending on the business that installed it.

We spent the night on a Staycation at the SLS Hotel in Beverly Hills and the Model S HPWC (which is not a part of the "official" Tesla subsidized program) that the valets use is only 40A...

Not as helpful to the OP, but definitely for those of us that have both a Model S (or Model X) and a Roadster is that the HPWCs that show up on the navigation of the car (and on teslamotors.com find us page) is another way to find these chargers for a Roadster.

Don't own one yet.. looking at options. Trying to decide if the 2.0/2.5 is worth it.
Just another 'plug' (pun intended) for Henry's (hcsharp) "CAN". I have one and its an invaluable 'safety net' as is his knowledge. Whomever buys my Roadster will also inherit Henry's CAN and Martin's charging apparatus (Roadster Foundry Mobile Charger-in and of itself a collectors item). AEdennis has also provided much information to the Roadster community. But there is nobody who has more information and nobody who should be trusted more than TEG! Remember "The Wizard of Oz" and the guy behind the curtain? That's TEG! Good luck in your quest!

Many thanks for all the kind words for my adapters. DrTaras you will always be an honorary member of the Roadster community even after you sell yours. I really enjoyed your tireless enthusiasm in the early Roadster days, and if nothing else for being the only guy I know who drove his Roadster almost off a cliff, landing in the the top of a tree!;)

I have both of Henry's cans and they have worked flawlessly for me. The CAN-SR does allow you to use the Tesla destination chargers many of which are 70 or 80 amps. This gives a Roadster about 60 miles per hour. So not a bad charge rate when coupled with the new 3.0 battery.

Reactions: Jaff