TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Roadster OVMS - Wakeup?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by ibcs, Jan 16, 2014.

1. ibcs

ibcs Member

I looked in the OVMS, but couldn't find the answer to this question.

When on the Car page you can click on the engine area and get an option to Wakeup the car. I tried it and I saw the charge indicator glow, but what is the value of using Wakeup? When is it useful?

Does it allow you to preheat the cabin or am I dreaming?

Thanks in advance,
    ---Kent

2. Curt

Curt Roadster Signature #55

The only value I've been able to find so far is that it updates the PEM, Motor, and ESS temperature readings (and starts the coolant pump).

3. ibcs

ibcs Member

Thanks for the reply.

4. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

5 minutes after locking the car, it will go to sleep. You can hear that as the coolant pump stops and a bunch of systems shut down (such as temperature monitoring and 12V accessory socket). You can wake up the car by pressing a door handle, opening charge port, etc.

The OVMS WAKEUP command just does the same - it forces the car to wake up (so you'll get updated temperatures, etc). After 5 mins, if you don't do anything, the car will go back to sleep.

5. ibcs

ibcs Member

Thank you. Updated temperatures makes total sense to me.

6. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

P.S. I did hear of one OVMS user who used this to pre-heat his car. He wired a little heater up, using the 12V accessory socket as a relay input to turn on the heater. Then, if he wakes up the car remotely, he gets a five minute burst of heat. But, IMHO, you may as well use a WEMO to do that.