Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Price Trend

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would say that in the last couple of months, there has been a strong downward pressure on Roadster prices. This is due to Tesla reducing the prices on their CPO prices to move through their pile of Roadsters. Tesla sells CPO Roadsters with 3 year / 36,000 mile warranties for quite a bit less than what Roadsters were selling for 3 or 4 months ago. It's hard for a non CPO Roadster to compete with that, since the CPO Roadster is cheaper, reconditioned to like new condition and warrantied against $40k battery replacements and $8k PEM replacements.

Here's a related thread.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...ied-Pre-Owned-Roadsters-(sold-by-Tesla)/page3

They still have other CPO Roadsters. They seem to sell most of them without ever listing them on the preowned website. I think they've only actually ever sold 1 or 2 Roadsters on ebay. I think they just list them there to make people aware they exist.

To me it looks like the prices are going back up, as some have said the big supply bubble from Model S sales is getting smaller and Tesla in general is getting a lot of good press. While I saw prices dip to the high $50's the lowest I now see is the low $70's.

I think it is not so much the CPO program, more the launch of the Model S and subsequent landing of dozens (hundreds?) of roadsters on the second hand market.

To me, this is actually a good thing (albeit perhaps not so good from the point of view of the person trading in his roadster). It is enabling a whole new generation of roadster owners to experience this machine at a price point that they can afford. The previous price was so far out of reach for so many.

It will be interesting to see if the same affect happens in Europe and Asia.

What sites are you looking at for the price trend? I could only guess ebay and tesla of course but is there a better way to view what roadsters are for sale out there?

I was watching a combination of Tesla's CPO program and ebay with several comments from here. From my poor research prices are on the rise as the worst of the bubble has passed.

Last edited:
I think Tesla still has more CPO roadsters; I don't think they're burning through them like they were though. Here are some that they told me about 10 days ago. I would guess these ones are already sold.
VIN 169 – Twilight Blue – has roughly 3,500 miles and includes a body-color carbon fiber hard top, an upgraded sound system with navigation, forged wheels, and a dark gray with light gray leather interior. The price is $59,900.

VIN 351 – Radiant Red – has roughly 3,500 miles and does NOT include a hard top – the hard top in the photos is NOT included (this is reflected in the price), it also does NOT include the upgraded sound system. The car includes forged wheels, and a black leather interior. The price is $56,900.

Last edited:
Tesla only lists a small portion of cars on their website. At one time the had 66 CPOs for sale and only had about 10 on the used Tesla website. They place them in the bigger stores as eye candy.

There are 18 of them now. When you consider that these are only American cars, it's probably about 1% of all Roadsters sold in the United States. A bunch of them are going to fall off soon when the CPO auctions end.

None of the CPO Roadsters sold on Ebay today (reserve not met on any of them). Here were the final bids.
2010 Tesla Roadster Sport 2.0 Sport $61,100.00
2010 Tesla Roadster Sport 2.0 Sport $48,100.00
2010 Tesla Roadster Sport 2.0 Sport $53,100.00
2010 Tesla Roadster Base 2.0 Base $55,100.00
2010 Tesla Roadster Sport 2.5 Base $53,100.00
2011 Tesla Roadster Sport 2.5 Sport $81,100.00