Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster tail light access

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to install a backup camera on my 2.0 Sport (772) that would trigger by sensing current to the backup light but I can't figure out how to access the wiring to the lamps. I figured it would take removing the trunk liner but I loosened a bunch of those hex bolts inside the liner and it wouldn't budge. Does anyone have any idea how to access the tail light wiring?

There’s a couple three screws, accessed from in the trunk, directly behind the taillight. People typically remove the light when they are having tailgate release issues. You can try searching for ‘trunk release issue’ for some pics etc but you were in the right place, just the wrong screws.

I'm trying to install a backup camera on my 2.0 Sport (772) that would trigger by sensing current to the backup light but I can't figure out how to access the wiring to the lamps. I figured it would take removing the trunk liner but I loosened a bunch of those hex bolts inside the liner and it wouldn't budge. Does anyone have any idea how to access the tail light wiring?
You have to remove the three round rubber access covers from inside the trunk. They are about 3 cm diameter directly behind the taillights. Removing them will expose the studs that hold the taillights on. The nuts on the studs are nylocks - lock nuts that require an 8mm socket. They used lock nuts for a reason - do not over tighten when reinstalling. Be careful not to lose the washers behind the nuts. They have a way of falling down into your bumper - never to be seen again. The best method to remove the washers is with needle nose pliers.

Good luck!

Not sure if anyone has had any experience (I will post mine after I get it) but I was not wanting to dive into wiring just yet but still wanted a rear view camera/back up camera solutions (that didnt require wiring). I found 2 options, 2 different companies, both are listed like on ebay or amazon (but takes a while to find, I can PM name if you want). I am trying the cheaper of the 2 (and one that didn't have as many negative reviews for waterproofing and claims to be powered by solar....so had to try).

Not sure if anyone has had any experience (I will post mine after I get it) but I was not wanting to dive into wiring just yet but still wanted a rear view camera/back up camera solutions (that didnt require wiring). I found 2 options, 2 different companies, both are listed like on ebay or amazon (but takes a while to find, I can PM name if you want). I am trying the cheaper of the 2 (and one that didn't have as many negative reviews for waterproofing and claims to be powered by solar....so had to try).
any updates? thinking about backup camera on my 2010