Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof glass heat protection is very impressive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It may not feel like it at times, but the roof glass seems to have impressive heat protection properties.

I have recently fitted a Tesla sun shade for the front roof panel and thought that I would see how effective it was in first day of decent prolonged sun since fitting.

Not a scorching day, but the images below are after nearly 2-1/2 hours of direct sun. The roof glass is very effective, keeping the seats around 20C (uncalibrated) cooler than the areas where sun is coming through the side window. The net result was that the area of seat would have passed the 'shorts test' (front edge of seat slightly cooler again). The area protected from just side window glass would definitely been a fail. The same result was had from the windscreen. Certainly back of legs would have had problems on front of seat not protected by roof panels.

The sun shade would have made slight difference, but not anything significant. Unfortunately I forgot to take roof glass shots. The main reason for the sun shade was to put a barrier between my head and the significant heat that radiates off the glass. The jury is out on that at the moment.

Based on this one days observation, windscreen and side glass are the ones most needing protection.

upload_2020-7-5_17-54-59.png

Very interesting.i was convinced the roof glass was the excess heat problem.maybe it’s not.
its interesting but could be a little misleading. When the sun is overhead and at its hottest then not much is shining of the side windows but a lot is on the roof for a long time. so although it is clearly reflecting a lot of heat some is getting through over a large area for a long time and this will add up.
The only way to do a true comparison would be to park two M3s next to each other put a fully reflective sun shade or foil over one roof and not the other and then compare the temp in both