Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof Rack Door Assembly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I have a roof rack and one of the little plastic doors that protect the rail when the rack is not installed has broke.

I ask my local Service Center and they say it can't be ordered. Looking at the Tesla part catalog this is the part number.

ROOF RACK DOOR ASSEMBLY 1052493-00-A

I've been looking on the web and can't find this.

Anyone got this door problem ?

upload_2019-5-13_8-15-58.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-13_8-13-14.png
    upload_2019-5-13_8-13-14.png
    81.6 KB · Views: 1,449
The diagram is for RPFO - the original version of the pano roof. The doors are flush with the aluminum roof rails.

If your car is mid-2015 or newer, you likely have RFP2, where the doors are slightly different - and inset a half-inch or so from the roof rails.

It is possible the doors aren’t the same piece.

I just broke one of mine, ordered a replacement from service (they had them in stock)
ROOF RACK DOOR ASSY(1052493-00-A)
set of 4 is $7.65 each ($30.60)
Can you tell me where you ordered them from. I've been looking for one and can not seem to find it. I've checked with several dealers and none have them. Is it possible for you to sell one of them to me.

Thanks

Can you tell me where you ordered them from. I've been looking for one and can not seem to find it. I've checked with several dealers and none have them. Is it possible for you to sell one of them to me.
Thanks
I ordered them from Tesla service at Tysons Corner Virginia. I just called and spoke to someone in the service department and they had them in stock and I picked up the next day. I'm not sure why they wouldn't be able to get these for you at your local service center, I suppose you could try calling Tysons and asking them to mail you a set? Word of caution, when I showed up, they brought out the wrong part (newer version). Make sure you know what part you need for your S (old -v- new style) and you get the correct one sent. The part number (1052493-00-A) is correct for the older style roof rack door.

If you strike out let me know, I'll sell you one. I kind of want to hang on to some because I'm sure they'll break again (and apparently they're hard to find!)

I ordered them from Tesla service at Tysons Corner Virginia. I just called and spoke to someone in the service department and they had them in stock and I picked up the next day. I'm not sure why they wouldn't be able to get these for you at your local service center, I suppose you could try calling Tysons and asking them to mail you a set? Word of caution, when I showed up, they brought out the wrong part (newer version). Make sure you know what part you need for your S (old -v- new style) and you get the correct one sent. The part number (1052493-00-A) is correct for the older style roof rack door.

If you strike out let me know, I'll sell you one. I kind of want to hang on to some because I'm sure they'll break again (and apparently they're hard to find!)
Thanks for the reply. I can not get a hold of the dealer. I will try again tomorrow. I now need two. Another one just broke. Crazy. If I ever get replacements my plan is to glue them down. I have no plans of ever putting on a luggage rack. I've checked several dealers in Southern California and Las Vegas and none of them have it and can not get them.

So a bit of confusion on the part number. I ordered the replacements for my older style Model S roof rack door based on the part number listed 1052493-00-A by @prae1809 upthread. When I went to pick them up at the service center, they brought out the newer style. I informed them that I needed the older style and was given them. However the part number stamped on the part as well as my invoice are different: 1043445-00-D

Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 9.27.08 PM.png
IMG_1803.jpg
IMG_1804.jpg

To add even more confusion, the part number on the original doors on the car is different: 6008624-00-A, I attached a photo of it as well.

Attachments

• IMG_1806.jpg
    IMG_1806.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:
Does anyone know how these bad boys are installed? I have one that broke and cannot tell how to get to hanging it. Thanks!

It's pretty straight forward.

I was a bit hesitant putting it in given how easily they seem to break.

It was a little tricky getting the old one out completely, it's held in by two small round plastic arms (one of which had broken already on mine).

The attachment point for the hinge mechanism is at the top of the opening. When I removed my broken one, it left a small piece of the hinge pin still in the receiver. I had to pull the old broken piece out with long-nosed pliers before I installed the new one.

A bright head lamp was helpful since it's black on black and I was in my dim garage.

Once the old bits were out, installation was just matter of lining up the new part and pushing into place with some care not to use excess force and break.

Hi do managed it by yourself? I have the same problem and I have got the pieces from Tesla. But I do not understand how to change it? Best regards Gunnar
I was a bit hesitant putting it in given how easily they seem to break.

It was a little tricky getting the old one out completely, it's held in by two small round plastic arms (one of which had broken already on mine). When I tried to pull the broken piece out it left the plastic arms in the socket they attach to and I had to extract them with a pair of long-nose pliers. A head lamp was helpful since it's black on black.

Once the old bits were out, installation was just matter of lining up the new part and pushing into place with some care not to use excess force and break