Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof rack with PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey,

Just wanted to know if anyone used a roof rack together with PPF or not. Going to have to get the roof rack for my skibox this winter and trying to decide if I should use the included 3M stickers on top of the PPF or not. I rather not have them on at all times and they don’t seem to be that reusable.

So my questions are these, have anyone tried using the roof rack with ppf? If so were there any scuffing on the ppf afterwards? And if you have used the 3M pads on ppf, were they easy to remove afterwards without stretching the ppf?

Nobody tried it? :(

Could anyone with the roof rack tell me if the included 3M pads gets scuffed up with use? I remember on my Audi I tried without the protective pads once and got some scuff marks in the clear coat but can’t remember if the pads also got marks.

Nobody tried it? :(

Could anyone with the roof rack tell me if the included 3M pads gets scuffed up with use? I remember on my Audi I tried without the protective pads once and got some scuff marks in the clear coat but can’t remember if the pads also got marks.

Have not removed my roof rack yet but I think the 3M plastic that comes with the kit will protect the paint. The direct contact of the roof rack is rubber and doesn't seem abrasive enough to scuff the paint.

Hey,

Just wanted to know if anyone used a roof rack together with PPF or not. Going to have to get the roof rack for my skibox this winter and trying to decide if I should use the included 3M stickers on top of the PPF or not. I rather not have them on at all times and they don’t seem to be that reusable.

So my questions are these, have anyone tried using the roof rack with ppf? If so were there any scuffing on the ppf afterwards? And if you have used the 3M pads on ppf, were they easy to remove afterwards without stretching the ppf?
You have ppf on your roof? I have never heard of anyone doing that , is that a Swedish thing?
I have ppf myself but never saw the need to do the roof.
I have the roof rack on and I leave it on year round, I like the look.
I think you would definitely scuff the 3M pads taking it on and off.

You have ppf on your roof? I have never heard of anyone doing that , is that a Swedish thing?
I have ppf myself but never saw the need to do the roof.
I have the roof rack on and I leave it on year round, I like the look.
I think you would definitely scuff the 3M pads taking it on and off.

Well I have PPF on the painted beams next to the glass roof that the rack would attach to.

My roof cracked while driving with he roof rack.
Tesla told me I had installed it properly, but that the vinyl wrap made adjusters too tight or something. Had to cover it myself.
Also, the wrap will be ruined by the rubber mountings. They scuff and stretch it

Thank you for the answer I was looking for. I’d like to carry my bike but sounds like people have had problems with cracking the glass with the roof rack installed, even if it’s installed properly.
I think it's a bad excuse from Tesla, but in lieu of something better that's what you have to deal with.
I'm not wrapping my new TM3 so it shouldn't be an issue.
If you follow the installation procedure properly and use a 2,5-3,5nm torque wrench then you're not going to get in trouble. When I bought the rack the recommendation was 5-6nm, and I torqued closer to 6.
That said, my roof was slightly misaligned, so I think it was a combination that did the roof in.

I think it's a bad excuse from Tesla, but in lieu of something better that's what you have to deal with.
I'm not wrapping my new TM3 so it shouldn't be an issue.
If you follow the installation procedure properly and use a 2,5-3,5nm torque wrench then you're not going to get in trouble. When I bought the rack the recommendation was 5-6nm, and I torqued closer to 6.
That said, my roof was slightly misaligned, so I think it was a combination that did the roof in.
Good advice.
Another option is to pay the mobile tech to install it for you. Any issues with cracking (rare) are then not your issue, as it was Tesla installed. Money well spent imho.

Good advice.
Another option is to pay the mobile tech to install it for you. Any issues with cracking (rare) are then not your issue, as it was Tesla installed. Money well spent imho.
In my case I only put them on when I go on vacation and are them off as soon as I get home.
Rather invest in a good quality torque wrench and do it properly myself.
I had them approved by he SC last time, set up an appointment and had them check it out.
Or have a ranger do it once and then pretend you never took it off and on again yourself if something should happen.

I have always done full PPF on my cars because I do a ton of back forth freeway in nasty weather to satisfy my crazy skiing addition.

No PPF, then the sand/grit on the freeway just completely destroys your paint and it can be any surface because turbulence/vortices cause impact/micro abrasions all over the place (and essentially my windshields become disposable parts every 2-3 years as a result of micro pitting and the resulting blinding glare from sun at low angles or oncoming headlights, which sucks).

I have used Thule/Yakima racks with boxes for years. You can pretty much guarantee that if the feet are tightened down properly the PPF will stretch. I have never had it not happen. An extra layer of PPF, which is all the 3M pad is, will not change that outcome.

Finally, the PPF itself will also get some level of wear because no matter how anal you are about cleaning the car, freeway speeds will drive wet grit under the rubber feet eventually and that causes some wear. Is it highly visible. No. Is it better than destroying your roof paint because it can be replaced for not a lot of money. Yep. Same for the stretching. Who cares. I can get the PPF replaced easily. Paint, not so much.

• Informative
Reactions: freeAgent