Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RPM Tesla CF Mirror Cover Install Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stupid question I’m sure but my drivers side cf mirror cover has an area along the front edge that just won’t stick down. The area with the tape will not stick and when I press on it it keeps sort of popping. You can feel it’s trying to stick but it won’t. Even tried a hair drying for 10 minutes. Had it down but it came free shortly thereafter. I don’t think they will last long with that front edge loose. The passenger side is solid as a rock so I’d hate to have to take them both off.

These are pretty easy to install so I’m not sure what the issue is. So I’m trying to figure out the best way to handle it.

Should i make RPM send me a replacement or try to fix this myself by removing and retaping? Are there any risks trying to remove these? Any tips so as to not damage the paint?

Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    551.8 KB · Views: 97
I have these on my Model 3. On the RPM site will be install instructions. From memory you spray down the mirror with 70% alcohol and place the cover on while wet. Then tape into position and do not remove the tape for I think 48 hours. RPM has very good install videos on their site. Mine stuck well. Heat and Pressure and emphasized on all of RPM's videos.

I have these on my Model 3. On the RPM site will be install instructions. From memory you spray down the mirror with 70% alcohol and place the cover on while wet. Then tape into position and do not remove the tape for I think 48 hours. RPM has very good install videos on their site. Mine stuck well. Heat and Pressure and emphasized on all of RPM's videos.
Thanks yeah I followed instructions. I’m probably going to need to remove and retape. Just hope I don’t rip the paint off.

Thanks yeah I followed instructions. I’m probably going to need to remove and retape. Just hope I don’t rip the paint off.
I got in touch directly with the RPM Telsa folks about the removal process, just in case I didn’t like them (I do). I was told applying a generous amount of heat, via a blow dryer, was a good idea. Wear a heat resistant glove and take your time, and move it only in the direction opposite of the installation—i.e., straight out and off the mirror, not up.

I was also told that the caps themselves, being thin and brittle in that way authentic CF is, would probably not be re-installable. But the caps should be removed without damage to the paint.

I got in touch directly with the RPM Telsa folks about the removal process, just in case I didn’t like them (I do). I was told applying a generous amount of heat, via a blow dryer, was a good idea. Wear a heat resistant glove and take your time, and move it only in the direction opposite of the installation—i.e., straight out and off the mirror, not up.

I was also told that the caps themselves, being thin and brittle in that way authentic CF is, would probably not be re-installable. But the caps should be removed without damage to the paint.
Thanks. I have an email into them about what to do. Just can’t figure out why the one area won’t stick.