Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rubbing sound when wheel full tilt while reversing.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve noticed what sounds like rubbing (almost mechanical) when I have the wheel locked all the way while in reverse at slow speed. Has anyone else experienced this? I have checked the wheel wells and haven’t noticed anything.

I actually get something similar at low speeds in forward (haven't tested in reverse) motion with the wheel cranked in either direction and under heavy/full regen braking. I only noticed this coming from older Teslas as the deceleration in them isn't as aggressive as the newer cars at this low of a speed.

It's difficult to describe but it's almost the same sensation as a tire rubbing but it's not. It's more mechanical. It almost reminds me of an open differential at full crank in low speed parking lot type sensation. Not sure if that's what's happening here maybe? Something with the front differential possibly?

I know that Tesla uses an open diff on these cars but I haven't yet experienced this with my previous vehicles. I wasn't quite sure if it was normal because of that but it wasn't enough to cause alarm to open a ticket. I think it's just "normal" function of the diff under those conditions that wouldn't otherwise be normal once I've adjusted to the difference in low speed regen on this new Model Y compared to my older vehicles.

I don't really ever intentionally decelerate that aggressively with the wheel at full crank at nearly stopped speeds so I would say that it's more of an operator error issue in my case. Not sure if any of that helps you are not but it adds a data point & helps add to the conversation if nothing else.

Reactions: Christian87n
i had this, spent days on google and found people having same problem, but nobody reported back that it went away. I went to SC, tech said other new cars have the same noise, it will go away with break in period. I’m at 1700 miles, randomly checked yesterday, noise gone, and hope it never comes back

i had this, spent days on google and found people having same problem, but nobody reported back that it went away. I went to SC, tech said other new cars have the same noise, it will go away with break in period. I’m at 1700 miles, randomly checked yesterday, noise gone, and hope it never comes back
That’s definitely promising. I’m at 1100 miles now but I still hear it. Interestingly enough, not as loud as before.